Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bearings and Catchtank

JKJ

Just repacked/adjusted a dry front wheel bearing due to excessive play and will probably replace both front sets in the near future. Outer race pops out easily once the nut is removed, but how is the inner race removed, there seems to be a metal lip under the felt dust shield, that impedes removal.

Also my crossflow is weeping oil from the breather which, at present, is directed downwards, exiting below the clutch housing. If I install a catch bottle similar to that used for the coolant overflow, where would be the best place to position it in the engine bay ?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Rob, yeh, I got to the bit where the hub assembly was removed and the outer race popped out, couldn't work out how the inner one was removed, i.e from the back of the hub as it seemed to be impeded by a metal lip, or out through the hub the same way as the other one. I'll be a bit more thorough when I install the new ones.

Cheers

Edited by - JKJ on 17 May 2003 21:58:39

I think you need to use a drift or pin punch. There should be 4 slots or gaps in the bottom of the recess in which the inner race sits that are accessible from the other side through the centre of the hub. Gently tap the race out, continuously working your way around so that the race comes out square.

When putting things back together it may help to put the races in the freezer and the hub in the cooker to make them easier to fit. Again, make sure it goes in square. Some bearing installation goop is also good insurance. See rswww.com and search on "bearing fit 641".