Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

XFlow lighter than K series....

Clay Head

I am going to fit a nice newly purchased Aloy head to my xflow which already has Aloy bell housing. This will probably make it lighter than a standard K. Now, my question is about the suspension set-up. I have standard pre 96 suspension but wondered whether the K set-up runs lower spring rates. I also wondered if I might need to go with an adjustable height kit to get the balance of the the car right.

Anybody have any views on this and the way forward as I am a bit of a suspension novice?

Clay, think you might be a little out regarding weight of K series engine. Designed like a plastic egg box, in ali and twice as light.

... doesn't the X/flow have a cast block?

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I have to agree with John - I'm fairly certain that the K is quite a bit lighter than the Xflow.

I swapped my Xflow for a 1.6 16v Vauxhall engine which was substantially easier to lug around than the Xflow. From speaking to SBD it seems that you can get the 1.6 engine down to a similar weight to the K series (even though it has a cast iron block vs. an aluminium one) so from that you can conclude that the Xflow is heavier than the K.

The consensus is that the K weighs 100kg, the XFlow about 125kg. The weight saving of an alloy head will be 12-15kg, so you will be getting close. This represents maybe 2% of the vehicle weight, and doesn't call for spring changes (even good springs will have 5% tolerance).

Upgradeitis ward, awaiting open wallet surgery. 100,016 miles

I didn't realise the K was that light. I had it at around 100-105 Kg and x flow at about 115 -120 from the "weight of things" sheet that Speedy Steve did.

Chris - its a brand new head + valves that has not been used but is not the offset version. Its at a great price so I'm only really getting it for the weight saving. It seems like a relatively cheap way to lose 15K compared to say carbon bits, new wheels, etc

Zetec (2.0lt) with clutch alternator inj/sys and oil 118kg

cast bellhousing inc spacer 12kg

alloy bellhousing 7lb (3kg?)

Battery 8kg (thought that would be more)

gearbox 32kg 5 speed T9

Hayabusa engine gearbox complete 82kgs (from other thread)

SLR for sale *cool*

T.F@O.F.

www.griptv.com

Edited by - r phillips on 17 May 2003 11:28:56

Hi All.

Cray, If you get the Alli head and bellhousing, you will be get about 15.5Kg weight reduction. (Alli head-8.9Kg, Bell-6.65Kg non spacer type)

It is only? about 2% weight reduction of vehicle, but I think it dose not need for change the dumper setting.

Reducing the Z around Inertia, maybe you can get the quick handling!

By the way I have a same weight reduction project now. 😬

Parts list as below

Alloy head from Dave bean (Pirce manifolds inc. made) -8.9Kg

Alloy Flywheel from DB(Fidanza Eng. CO, Ringgear110Teeth) -2.36Kg

Alloy Clutch cover Tilton 7.25 in -2.84Kg

Starter Lucas T11 to Reduction type T9 -0.9Kg

Alloy Bellhousing from Raceline (SPC cast non spacer for short inputshaft T9) -6.65Kg

Alloy Main Gearcase from Quaife -4.5Kg

Then I get 26Kg weight and 4000$+800ponds money reduction! It's heavy for me.

Cray , Please inform to me about alli head modification.

I think alli head needs valve spring pocket depth milling for spring as such like VS7

of Kentcams ( in case of 1.69 ratio).

It need 2 or 3 mm milling maybe, but I worry about cast wall thickness. *confused*

Go light head *thumbup*

Ken