Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

replacing horn switch with push putton

Alan L

My 1990 car has a toggle type switch to activate the horn. When I do not want to I catch it and when I do need it confuse it with the headlight flasher *confused*. So I would like to replace it with simple push button.

I asked Caterham about a button and they said yes sir that would be £14, which I though was a bit steep for a button. I was hoping I could get something suitable from Maplin/etc for at a more reasonable cost. Anyone know what I sort of rated switch I should ask for? Car is fitted with air horns.

Is there a relay? Probably is with air horns.

If there is then the switch only needs to trigger the relay so a fraction of an amp will do.

If there's no relay then you could get a switch big enough to run the air horn compressor, I guess 10A or so, but probably best to fit a relay and go with a smaller rating switch as above.

Well my one from Maplins VERY small red one is fine. *confused*

How often does it get used anyway. 🤔

In my case one MOT to the next and an odd rare occasion. *confused*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

But at GBP14, (I'm on a keyboard abroad at the moment and there is no "pound" sign!) it would be cheaper, and a better engineering solution, to buy a relay and low power switch. You can get a 30A automotive relay from Maplin for a couple of quid and the same for a low power switch which only has to handle less than 100mA to operate the relay.

The reason that cars use a relay for the horn is not actually because it's such a high power device. It only draws a few amps for maybe the second or so on the rare times you use it. The reason for using a relay is that the horn contains a large coil which acts as an electromagnet. When the horn is switched off the energy still stored in the horn coil causes a very high voltage to appear momentarily across the switch contacts and they would soon get burned away. The tougher relay contacts will cope far better than the switch contacts. Without a relay, there would also be a very large spike put directly on the main power line.

The thing about the Caterham switch is that it doesn't operate the horn directly anyway in a standard installation. Caterham use a relay, so I doubt they spec a high current, high quality switch.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 16 May 2003 23:56:07

Hi Chris

Well my 1988 car has a relay *thumbup*

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - bilbo on 16 May 2003 20:30:23

Hi Chris

I had intended to say that but I am trying to do 2 things at the same time. (route map for Curborough for tomorrow I always get *confused* after M6 plus Oily Rag, my navigators, not going).

The fact that others were implying no relay *confused* me.

• Leadership Team

I've just bought a big black starter button for the horn, to match my big red starter button on the opposite side of the wheel. Available from RS, but still around £9. Definately a quality item though *cool*

Stu.