Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR with cracked block

spinmaster

Hi,

I own SLR no 4 which currently has oil leeking into the coolant. Looks like a cracked block (not gasket). Currently deciding wether to get it fixed/put a bike engine in or cut my losses and sell it. Spec is below

SLR no 4

2 owners

15,000 miles approx (can't remember offhand)

Yellow with silver stripe

Just been serviced and MOT

Pre new cat regs

All new carbon pack (Aug 02)

Techcraft goodwood silencer

custom made GDS 4-2-1 manifold

PTP Throttle bodies

Dry Sump

Uprated brakes

adjustable brake bias

LSD

Large Foam tank

Split rims

Windscreen and weather - removable to add a JPE screen (included)

Any offers?

You can email or call 07970 624696.

How about some advice?...As a Superlight R with a good engine it'll be worth more than as an ex SLR with a bike engine I'd have thought...but a rebuild with new block is likely to be in the region of £4-£5k. Mark Collins recently bought a new engine for his via Miraz though, but I don't know what price he paid - I'll mail him and find out if you want....

Spinmaster,

Look at the postings from 5th May - someone was selling an 1800K series engine. Couldn't you simply use the block from this? - (if it's still available)

Just a thought?

Spinmaster

I've e-mailed MP with some details and equally share your fustration with the K series. Assuming it is a cracked block and not a lose or leaking liner? Dave Andrws has a block available for £100 however it's the labour that'll bump it up. drop Geoff (Miraz) a mail

geoff.northcott@miraz.com

he knows an Irish bloke that will come over and rebuild it for a fraction of the normal cost (he could do yours and mine together!!!)

Gadge

I'm waiting for Ash to get back to me on that 1800k for my new bottom end ......oo-eer *smile*

Mark

Managed to source a new VHPD. Need to do a few checks first, but think I'll get that fitted and then sell.

Shame because the car is great, So well setup compared with other 7's I have driven.

Just don't trust the K series engine. My brother had loads of problem with it on his Elise as well.

Do many people have lots of problems with the VHPD?

"Do many people have problems with the VHPD" In standard road trim I don't believe so...in race spec when taken to the red line all the time....perhaps. As for trouble with a K in an Elise, that's extremely unusual - even in the 111S level of tune you rarely if ever hear about any problems.

Spin

no, the Irish guy does rebuilds only, MP will be back to you with details of a new engine assuming they're still available, if they are they're a good deal, if you go that route I might be interested in buying your old engine for some bits I need!

Mark

Spin

whereabouts in the Country are you?, I could help with an Engine change or I can put you in touch with somebody who will do the work for around £400 (plus consumables)

also wait till you hear back from MP re a new engine as prices seem to vary enormously

Mark

I live in Coventry. Car is in Nottm though.

The new engine was originally for a Lotus340R, so will need some grinding on the block for the starter motor. The price is good, but the history needs some checking. What sort of price are the engines from Miraz? Will Miraz check the forum of shall I to email him

Any help would be great. I think if I stay with a K Series I am going to have to get my hands dirty. £400 would be very good. Previous quotes are for £800+

Hi,

The car sounds an interesting proposition.

I'm new to sevens but quite like the idea of the power from an SLR.

How come you have had such trouble with the engine?

Are K-series that unreliable?

What is the car like? 15K seems quite high miles, as I've not come across many SLRs with such mileage, seems that you have had much fun. What is the car like for road use?

Thanks for your time.

Regards.

Mark

Edited by - me on 17 May 2003 20:09:53

Edited by - me on 17 Sep 2003 20:21:28

Spin, I was out yesterday afternoon and haven't been in touch with Geoff (Miraz). Mark Collins (so many Marks so confusing!) posted Geoff's e-mail address earlier, mail him yourself. Mark (Me), the SLR price you've found is cheap for a genuine road car with history and the mileage is extremely low - the car should be mint too - go buy it/why have you not bought it?....

15,000 miles is not an issue with an SLR engine IMHO and they're great on the road but should be treated with care in the wet - I had some sideways moments last night - all good fun though...am taking the car on the Essex Police skidpan today - should be fun 😬 😬 😬

I suspect that the SLR is a road legal race car that was in Autocar a few weeks ago - if not, please drop me some contact details

as for the Irish, I'm not sure I get the point; if it's the particular Irishman that I know that does stuff, he's a fine chap

cheers now

as a long term k user, I think that the k is fundamentally flawed in as much as it is virtually guaranteed to go kaboom at some stage in the life of a 7. Do we hear of as many head gasket failures and oil system related failures with any other engine (generally I mean, not just 7 related)?

Graham