Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pump 'K'

CHRIS CLARK

Has anyone had any problems with the std. oil pump planetary gear etc.? At the Autosport Show 'QED' had a nice gear on sale saying they'd had a few break up (I think in 'Elises')with an example on show. Nice spark erroded 'thing', but 85 UKP!!!. Pros & cons please. Sales pitch or worth the (hard earned) dosh?

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Ask the Mrs for a dry sump kit. After all it would be a shame for it to blow up after spending all that money on the rest of it......

Or she might like fitted cupboards in one of the other bedrooms.....

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

It really is very very very very full now!!!

While I was in the throes of thermal shock and jetlag on Christmas Eve I may or may not have witnessed my engine have a funny oil pressure incident. I cut the engine forthwith, such that the filtering in the Stack datalogging meant that nothing untoward showed up on the log. The engine made decent pressure when cranking, so come things are still working.

The engine is due for a bearing inspection and the oil pump can also come under scrutiny quite easily. If anybody is likely to have bust a K-series oil pump then I guess it is me.

I will keep you posted.

Also the engine is out of the car and can be weighed.

Stewart, I am afraid I have misled you. It is just the last 2 seconds of oil pressure before shutdown that don't get logged compared to the engine revs channel, which is logged at higher frequency. I believe this is because of the input filtering strategy.

The channels that have a slow sampling rate all show this. The Stack system that I have logs oil pressure at 1 hz. This isn't a very high rate, but not many events in the oil system have a duration shorter than two seconds.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 28 Jan 2001 08:56:47