Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VX Clutch slave cylinder

Paul S

Can anyone advise me.I have had my ex hyperion 240bhp for just over one year, and after 6 track days have now got through 2 slave cylinders (the 2nd one went on Monday at Cadwell) Caterham say that the new blue anodised ones are OK, (my last one was of this type and has lasted 2 track days)

Have the dry sump with the oil in the bell housing.

I can not face another wasted track day and taking the engine and box out again to fit another of these cylinders !!

Regards to all

I must admit, I have been told this is a known weakness and although my green anodised one only leaked just a little, it was enough of a problem, combined with other clutch requirements, to make me change to an external dry sump tank with the std belhousing.

What is different between the blue and green units?

Captain Chaos *smile*

Did you change to a cable clutch or just to an external tank? If just to an external tank, have you had problems since, do you race / track day and what bhp do you have, I have heard that over say 230bhp, the heat when on a track makes the slave cylinders fail.

I understand that the blue anodised slave cylinders are the modified ones, Caterham tech support told me yesterday that there was a dodgy batch prior to the blue ones.

Anthony *smile*

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head, however befor spending many hundreds on new bell housing, cable assembly, oil tank etc, etc, etc I wanted to find out what others have done. If I can get away with just diverting the oil to a seperate tank, for this season, I can then afford more track time and maybe some slicks. *cool*

Matt/Paul you are of course 100% right. Just a thought that cable whilst harder to use is a bit more reliable

Anthony

No engine, but 4 wheels, gearbox, diff, tank, loom, dash and now Nitrons...and a trial fitted block ( hurray !)

Paul S,

I have 238bhp and my main problem was an AP clutch which was not suitable for road/track day work. Plus, I had 2 slave units which had minor leaks after heavy use. So I followed Alex Wong and changed to the std belhousing, Qtr Master twin plate clutch, cable operated and an external dry sump tank. I could not get the cable set up to work satisfactorily (Alex has) so I then installed a slave cylinder (sold by Burton Power amongst others and recommended by Arnie) and spaced the unit to give good operation. No probs since (touches wood!). If you want more detail I'm happy to supply. The job is easier than it might sound but will cost a few hundred quid to achieve.