Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car set up

WILL FLY

Depends how far "South" you want, but I would think a good place to start would be one of the teams that race Caterhams, e.g. Hyperion in Essex / Suffolk. Not sure if there are any nearer to you, maybe based at Thruxton or in the Brands area ?

A full suspension set up for my W*******d is about £150 from Terry Nightingale so I'd expect to pay something in the same region for a C******m.

Dominic,

Could well have been me, I came over with a few others at the end of the summer. I've got a yellow Caterham registration number W111 FLY with a yellow FIA bar.

Where are Juno based, I can get over to Kent quite easy as the in-laws live in Tunbridge Wells.

Roy

Roy,

[egg sucking tutorial mode]

The only real way to get the car set up dead right is with an expert at a track that represents the type of driving you want to do. Then you have to pound round driving consistently and changing one thing at a time and gauging the improvement/otherwise.

[/egg sucking tutorial mode]

Other than that a flat floor set up and experimentation is your best bet. The services of a good race team (Hyperion/Arrowstar/Classic Carriage/etc.) could help, but only if you can explain to them what you are after.

IMH-experience change a few things drastically (soft front tyres/hard rears, soft front springs/hard rears, stiff anti rollbars) until you get a set up you feel comfortable with and leave it like that. Then learn to drive around any minor deficiencies. Otherwise, you'll go mad changing things all the time.

There, that's about 2p.

Cheers, Davebo.

I use Ratrace in North London, at the end of the M1. They are good and understand that not everyone has loads of money, and not everyone is a racing car driver. I do not have their number to hand but can get it later for you if you wish?

Roy,

Gary at Juno is a top bloke who knows his stuff. For flat flooring you will need to exercise those adjustable platforms so let's hope the lock rings haven't seized!

I know I had offered to come round and demonstrate my self-setup routine, but with my extended absence someone like Gary will take care of you and not leave you feeling ripped off. Stick around and watch him at his work and you will learn a heap too.

Peter

Funilly enough Peter, as I was waxoyling the front suspension the other night I looked at the lock rings and thought the threads looked dry so I undid them and copasliped them. The hardest bit was unlocking the rings, I could then move them by hand.

Thanks for the tip about Gary, I'll keep him in mind. Stop running around the world and get that car on the road some more.