Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SPEED CAMERAS

PAUL MARRIOTT

I have a bel 990i, it seems pretty good, the detection range varies depending on road conditions etc, but you usually get at least 5 secs of gatsos.

It will detect lasar, but by the time it has detected the lasar, they have detected your speed.

One thing to be aware of is the heated screen in a caterham will block any gatso radar signals from coming through.

I don't know much about it and have no detection devices but you may want to try looking at

http://www.morpheous.co.uk/flashed/index.htm who use gps to locate your location against a db of known (and updated) list of cameras including front facing ones, and hence warn you of when you are getting near an accident blackspot (that is why the camera is there NOT!)

these seem like a smart device, not sure where you fit it in a 7 as it has to have a clear path to the sky

also check out the speed trap bible at http://www.brakehorsepower.com/speedtrap/speedtrap_bible.html for everything you ever wanted to know

rob

The two links Rob gave will give all the info you need.

Note that I'm pretty sure radar detectors and the like become illegal very soon (either later this year or early next). I was considering buying one but since the law's changing probably won't bother (it's not easy to hide one in a 7).

I've heard the screen is only a problem if turned on. There are also smallish areas towards the edges of the screen that don't have elements in...

When I was looking the Bel 990i or 980 were the ones to go for. They can be had for about 250 quid but need an accessory socket for power.

The verdict isn't yet in on whether the Morpheus thing will also be illegal. I think they're trying to word the law so that it is though...

C7 AJM

One thing I was thinking about on hols is that the sticky front number plates which can stick on to the top of the nose will mean that it will be very hard for the operator of the laser to see your reg, since 85% of them are "front on" it they sit 100m down the road and take a picture of the front of your car.

So that will cut down your chances of laser. Then all you have to do is look out for the Gatso!

X777CAT

I bought a detector for the tin-top a couple of years ago. Once you get one you realise that 90% of Gatso's aren't operational and that most traffic lights trigger the detector as they use sensors to control the sequences (especially pelican crossings).

also it didn't stop the missus from getting three points when a mobile camera caught her doing 37 in a 30 zone, the detector did not even register it.

I'd say get out into the open country where there are no cameras, and save yourself the £200-£300 (equivelent to 2 track days).

Stewart ,

When the gatso first came out they had problems with overheating so the holes were put in the back , later models use a little fan inside to do the cooling , so whilst there is *some* fact behind it , it doesnt realy count for much today .

The permanent grey gatso are not the worst , you can get used to their positions , its when the plod are sitting in the back of a beaten up old transit with one of the rear doors open or a toyota van with the rear window wound down you should worry , they are using a laser gun with a range of about 400m !!, you cant see the ****ers till your on them !! :-( .

Been caught twice like this : 36 in a 30 and , 47 150m past a 40mph sign after a 60mph limit .

Yours

80 quid out of pocket and depressed

Dave .

The vent holes are opened by the person changing the film, they can be open or closed regardless of live eqpt.

Dave J

I would have Strongly appealed against the 37mph one, ACPO recomends that cars should be considered to be speeding at 39mph in a 30 zone, this takes into account any speedo error 10 percent and error in the equipment - 10 percent and leeway for anything else. Althogh tecnically they could prosicute for 33mph, I would say 37 is well harsh.

As for range, 1000m is the std now for most laser cameras in the vans. Can do upto 1500m on a very clear day with a lense adaptor!

Simon.

X777CAT