Click here if you are having website access problems ×

xflow - oil pressure

mikes

When I started up last night I noticed that the oil pressure showed the usual high reading but failed to drop down when the engine was idling. The needle on the gauge seemed to give the odd twitch but otherwise stayed up at the normal high value. When the ignition is switched of and on again the reading is zero as you would expect.

Any ideas if this is likely to be a sender unit, gauge, earthing or a real problem?

I have an AVO meter so can I usefully check the output from the sender unit to see if it is working properly?

Mike

Did you let the car warm up first? Mine will start with 5 bar, and stays there until the oil has warmed 15-20mins (and therefore thinned I assume), from when it drops to the usual lower pressure at idle (about 1bar) and a full 5 bars when the engine is doing any kind of meaningful work. Hope that reassures!

If it can help, my 1600 crowflow wet sump

with very good pump from Burton

(high pressure, high ...)

VDO instrument (as your former 7 Antony ...)

4 Bar at cold (moderate trottle)

3.1 bar at normal temperature

(3 bar seems to be normal, I saw a racing car with a red line on the guage to indicate at the first glance the good position of the needle)

1.5 bar or 1.1 bar at hot idle after a motorway trip with 15w50 oil

Under 1 bar with 10w40 (not so good)

Thanks for the comments.

I am slightly reassured.

No, it didn't really have time to warm up, but I am sure it used to drop down at idle even when cold. I think the reading is up at 4-5 bar.

The engine has only recently been rebuilt (by Roger King and very good too)with a high capacity oil pump, run in and rolling roaded and I think it did the usual things then. On Monday it was given a bit of a hammering at Cadwell and I noticed the unusual reading when checking it over (just as well because the alternator was about to fall off) on the following evening.

Mike