Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Type 9 Gearbox problems with a cerametallic clutch

rgrigsby

I've recently switched to a single plate 7.25" 6 bolt AP race cerametallic clutch, since then I've managed to wreck the syncros on my standard type 9 box. Apparently this is due to the agressive action of the clutch combined with a slightly missed gear change. This has happened in 450 miles of running in and less than 500 miles of real driving since the box was refreshed!!!

The engine is an all steel 1800cc crossflow with around 180+bhp and an unknown torque figure (guesstimate of areount 140-145lbft) reving to 8500rpm.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a clutch that will cope with the power/revs and not wreck the gearbox?

Current suggestions center around steel baulk rings for the gearbox which don't seem to be available, move to a dog box or move to the caterham 6 speed box none of which is looking good for the credit card!!

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Hi Rob,

Apparently the type 9's are not as strong as the 6 speeds, which in turn is not helped by the wider ratio's of the 5 speed.

All the 7.25 clutches from AP. will apparently have similar load charateristics, so organic might be a little bit gentler ?

Roger was looking at Quatermass organics which might have a bit more cushion

Hope this helps.

Anthony

No engine, but 4 wheels, gearbox, diff and now Nitrons...

Hi Rob,

Apparently the type 9's are not as strong as the 6 speeds, which in turn is not helped by the wider ratio's of the 5 speed.

All the 7.25 clutches from AP. will apparently have similar load charateristics, so organic might be a little bit gentler ?

Roger was looking at Quatermass organics which might have a bit more cushion

Hope this helps.

Anthony

No engine, but 4 wheels, gearbox, diff and now Nitrons...

Greg yup it is!!

Anthony I had a chat with Roger about the organic quatermaster clutch and apparently it's a twin plate clutch so we're not sure it's going to be that much better. The other solution does seem to be a semi-helical or straight cut close ratio type 9 *eek*

I'm still researching to see what I can find..... don't really fancy a full straight cut box as I use the car on the road quite a bit but if that's the only choice.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Hmmm worth investigating, any suggestions for a place to get a organic driven plate other than direct from AP?

If all goes well I should here back from Phil about the steel baulk rings today, I spoke to Merrick last night and should be picking up the dedion tube this evening/tomorrow so i can start work on the back end of the car.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 9 May 2003 08:29:12

Rob

Does your clutch have a sprung centre?

I would say the probems arise more from the revs rather that the clutch itself. The synchros are weak on the type 9 and not designed for that sort of revs. My race car has a synchro Tran-x straight cut gear kit in it though which I sourced for £400. There is one for sale here

Forget the steel baulk rings since these need regular lapping in, and a dog box is expensive, hard on the rest of the drive train and needs the dogs changing regularly.

I think the best solution would be to change gear at say 6000 rpm, particularly when you are in a race with me *tongue*

The car in front is a Westfie1d *wink*

Edited by - Fast Westie on 9 May 2003 10:42:34

hehe 6000rpm then again maybe not!!

The steel rings I'm getting are the moly coated ones which don't need regularly lapping apparently. (that's a feature of the Quaife ones..). So in theory they should help. Longer term as you say I think a straight cut box is going to be the solution.

Following a chat with Miraz I'm also going to try an organic clutch plate as well to see if that helps.

Cheers for the link!!

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Small change of plans, there isn't an organic plate available for the clutch cover I have so I'm sticking with the cerametallic one.

Started dismantling the car, it's up on axle stands with the wheels removed and most of the bolts out of the dedion tube/rear suspension. A few more and the tube will be out!

cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com