Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear View Mirror

stormcp

Does anyone have any ideas on rear view mirrors. The standard one I have on the windscreen gets in my way of my view bigtime as i'm 6ft 3. Are there any other smaller ones apart from spending £150 on the carbon dash mounted one from Caterham.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Matt

Yellow Blur!

matt

on my old Supersport I had it fitted a couple of inches off centre towards the passenger side which worked for me, also I saw a post on here a few weeks ago with a 'procedure' where you can turn the mirror upside down on the stalk meaning it sits much higher

Mark

Best tip I was given is to turn mirror upside down, sticky pad from Halfords, sTANLEY KNIFE TO WHITTLE OUT A BIT OF THE MIRROR BODY TO CLEAr THE STEM AND bOB iS (B*GGER CAPS!!) your Uncle - as they say.

Made a huge differance for me, but I'm only 5-10.

Paul M.

Matt, before you go ahead and spend hard earned cash try the suggestion made by Mark of turning the mirror upside down. I think the adjustment was explained in recent Low Flying. You have to cut a groove in the rear of the mirror casing to allow the mounting stem to be repositioned. This has the effect of raising the mirror by several inches. I previously found the mirror gave a large blind spot to the front left. Now the blind spot has totally gone and in addition the rear view is much better as the roll bar no longer gets in the way. Its a quick free excellent mod. go.

I am 6'3" too. My solution is two fold. First, a foam pack seat base that enables me to sit comfortably in the car at the correct hight, so I now look through the centre of the screen. This makes a BIG difference to the feel and driveability of the car. Second step is to move the mirror in front of the passenger, so it is out of the way.

thread hijack I'm afraid,

does anyone know of a vibration free screen mounted mirror. Mine is not a Caterham item and vibrates like hell.

Run Baby Run *eek*

does it really have anything less than full throttle

• Leadership Team

John - I had mine glued in place with epoxy - solid as a rock and hardly vibrated at all, but looked a little scruffy from the front. When I re-did the screen surround, I got one of the proper sticky pads from a local motor factors - now the mirror vibrates like hell - it's crap. I can only assume that if there is a much thinner sticky pad available, then it would work better.

Stu.

Another option - get a secondary rear view mirror from Halfords (the ones for keeping an eye on brats in the back of a family car). It's smaller and has a suction cup base. You can easily change the position of it to see where's best, you can remove it to clean the screen, and it only costs a tenner or so.