Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Supersport R conversion - any informed comment?

Tony Martyr

After some months of full page advertising in Low Flying concerning the conversion for 1600k units to 160HP 1800. I would like to to know of any feedback from members who have had the work done.

My 1600k engine will be due for a rebuild at the end of this season - comments - brickbats (what is a brickbat?)

Tony,

This week I have the pleasure of using the Caterham Cars demo SSR while they're finding lots of things for me to spend my money on during my car's service.

Not sure if it was a converted 1600SS or built originally as a SSR?

All I can say is, that it's the nuts. Much nicer noise than the 1600ss, with lots of popping and banging on the over-run. The extra power is noticeable and throttle response much better.

BUT...it is no way worth £3k+

If it was half that price I'd be having the conversion done right now, but £3k?! You've got to be kidding. I'm sure it would cost similar money to get a Fireblade installed by James Whiting??

• Support Team

I drove the SSR demo car in January and made some comments on this site then - do a search and you should find it. Main differences from my 1600 Supersport were:

1. More difficult to start.

2. Lumpier idle - especially while cold.

3. Popping and banging on the overrun 😬 and flames occasionally.

4. Noticably more torque - i.e. will pull from lower revs.

5. I didn't think the throttle response was that good but that could be that I was not using the revs as I would on my own car.

6. Topend power noticeably higher.

7. Louder *smile*

8. On salty roads (it was the week of the snow) it was impossible to give it full power in first or second even in a straight line!

9. Check the immobiliser situation - I seem to remember that the upgrade eliminates the Rover "plipper" and your insurance may require you to fit another immobiliser.

I think many people will suggest that you try a different upgrade route as for that money you can get more power and better driveability with say an Emerald ECU and Jenvey throttle bodies. However if you want to stay factory standard (and be able to sell your car back to Caterham) then the SSR route is probably the best open to you and effectively gives you an R300 engine.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

yes, if you already have TBs and a mappable ecu, then there's little point in the expense of "re-buying" them in the caterham supersport R kit. You may be able to buy the "ex-r500-bits" from Caterham to self convert to an 1800. Get a DVA'd head and the sky's the limit (well not the kind of sky F355GTS can see through his block I hope!).

Graham