Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which shocks, ride height and rake?

Griff

I've got unidentified yellow adjustable platform shocks on the front, non-adjustable on the rear. Rear has progressive springs but unknown rates (front and rear). I'm also running Freestyle adjustable anti-roll bars.

Next job is to upgrade the springs & dampers. For mostly track day driving I'm thinking of 250 front, 215 rear springs, but not sure about the dampers. Presently considering Bilstein or Freestyle but would appreciate any other suggestions, pros and cons.

After fitting, car will go in for a geometry check and flat flooring but I need a good "average" setting to begin with for camber (about 2 deg presently) and tracking (toe out 0.5 deg now), plus ride height and rake. BTW, where is ride height measured from? I'm running 13" A032s (185 front, 205 rear) and need a little ground clearance just to get out of my drive!

215 lb rear is wildly stiff. I run 150 currently and 260 front.

You get more traction with softer. See other threads about dampers and balance front to rear.

I went for Freestyle dampers rear as they can bolt through the tube (see tub failure thread).

The prog rears work well with 250lb fronts if you can run a rear ARB. They are 120lb/150lb/210lb under compression.

The Freestyle rear dampers worked well and being able to adjust them I could soften the rear to improve traction out of the Devils elbow today and improve my lap times.

I would try 1.5 deg camber for radial tyres and 0.2 deg toe out.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 5 May 2003 21:49:19

Edited by - stevefoster on 5 May 2003 21:52:39

Edited by - stevefoster on 5 May 2003 21:53:07

Edited by - stevefoster on 5 May 2003 21:53:51

Steve,

Thanks for the info. The spring rates came from the fact I've been considering some "lightly used" ex-race bilsteins and springs. Actually I'm reasonable happy with my current, softer spring rates, though adjustable dampers and ride height all round, plus ARB settings should give me plenty to play with for now.

The standard (steel) Freestyle units seem to be cheaper than Bilsteins when new, or am I looking in the wrong places?

Mike

The Freestyle ones probably are cheaper. Bilstein a quality damper mass produced.

I dropped them not for the damping proberties but cos' I wanted to run the through the tube mounting and have the adjustable rate for softening in the wet. It proved very useful yesterday.

Yes, I can tell the difference in just one click on the track....

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here