Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Disappearing Cycle Wings

Richard Hammond

On the motorway a couple of miles from Stoneleigh, my cycle wing came unstuck from the back stay and lifted, causing the front edge to rub the against the tyre. We stopped and look the wing off completely (big thanks to Steve Motts) in fear of losing it.

Is this a common thing ? If so, I guess it is better to bolt them on rather than stick them. Only trouble is, I've seen quite a few bolted ones cracking where the bolts go.

What adhesive is used to stick the wings ?

Li7 KAR

Yup, Blackstuff is what you need. A silkathane, like windscreen adhesive or similar. Get everything really clean. These need warmth and humidity to cure to maximum strength so don't do it when it's cold and dry. Good luck,

Simon.

not so sure.. its been 4 years since I set my old wings on with it...

I remember doing it a summer eve.. not too hot though.. n left it over night..

both myself n my old man (big guy) tried to rip it off as he was very sceptical about it staying on with glue but even he had to conced defeat after failing to rip it of..

the way I did it (may not be 100% correct) but it worked for me;

mark up hte wing to how you want it fitted..

remove paint from wing stay so you can glue directly to metal..

rough up both mating faces with a file.

dee-grease both faces with white spirit, allow to evaporate..

apply Wurth..

Now, Beakie, we'll just flip this switch and 60,000 refreshing volts of electricity will surge through your body. Ready?..

See my CAR here

www.daxcars.co.uk

or goto www.wurth.com ... choose UK and call a dealer.. not sute which product it is now looking at the UK site.. so maybe Dax is a better bet.

Chris

Now, Beakie, we'll just flip this switch and 60,000 refreshing volts of electricity will surge through your body. Ready?..

See my CAR here

Edited by - Chris K on 6 May 2003 08:41:37

Check out here for extra security - bonding in a S/S tie as well as slapping on whichever glue. But (like me) you may in too much of a hurry to get the car on the road and resort to fibreglass and prayer *eek*

Let me know if you're going to do this, I'll get some of them too and rip the wings off before they do it themselves again 🙆🏻

Tony

M1 7 SMW 1.4SS Lotuscolours with cycle wings.

Edited by - Tony_Whitley on 6 May 2003 12:55:46

I Used the black stuff that windscreen people use to fit the screens.

Go to your local windscreen man and ask for a tube - usually about £6. Also ask for a bottle of the cleaner often referred to as "yellow cap" (for obvious reasons when you see it). This is like tape head cleaner and ideal to clean both the metal of the stay and the underside of the wing. A few small holes drilled in the stay will also help adhesion. Then its a case of sticking them on. It is advisable to wear latex gloves as this stuff sticks like S**t to a blanket and is a b****r to get of anything including skin. You use the tube in a mastic gun, smear a line along the stay, fit the wing and then smear more along the interface, over the stay and generally all around. It sets in approx 3 hours but is not fully cured until 24.

good luck.

robin

I used general RTV silicone after talking with Chris wheeler who has used it on many a race car.

When I wanted to take them off again because I wanted to reposition the wings I couldn't shift the stuff!!! Thought I could have lifted the car up by the wings.

Ensure the under wing and stays are clean and even rub the powder coating off the top of the stay (coz it'll peel off anyway *mad*). Put a bead of silicone on the top of stay and position the wing where you want it and then leave to set. Then "back fill" to create a butress affect and increase the silicone contact area with the stay and the wing. Leave the car for 24 hours to ensure all the silicone has gone off before using it.

Et voila *wink* *wink*

Edited by - Nifty on 6 May 2003 20:54:12

Tony, I think that I'll go with the Black Stuff. Having cleaned up the stays it looks like it was the peeling powder coat that caused it to come unstuck. Got the old adhesive off the wings and rubbed the stays back to bare metal.

Brent, as tempting as clamshells are, I think I'll leave them to you and Chris *wink*.

Li7 KAR