Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrade Heaven (the 1400KSS to 1800K saga)...

murph7355

Been promising this for a while. The blow by blow account isn't finished yet but as a few people have asked I thought I'd post what I have so far...

Basics of the engine are:

1800K series (11.1:1 cr)

Accralite forged pistons

QED steel banded liners

Std. rods and crank

Lightened flywheel

All the above fully balanced

Piper 740 cams

Fully ported head (CTM did the job after my Dave Andrew's special was damaged by Securicor) with 31.5mm inlet and 29mm exhaust Paul Ivey valves (could be the other way round!)

Solid followers

Mike Satur uprated head gasket

Piper Vernier pulleys

Jenvey DTH throttle bodies with 40mm trumpets, Pipercross sock filters and throttle linkage

VHPD injectors, uprated fuel pump and regulator

MBE ECU and loom

MBE distributorless wasted spark ignition system

AP Racing clutch

4-2-1 SLR non-cat race exhaust

Apollo oil/air separator

Mocal oil/water heat exchanger

Race aluminium radiator

Samco hose kit, all sorts of Earl's fittings and buckets of sundries...

Engine gave 194bhp@7750 and 140lbfts@5600 on the Emerald rolling road (as seen in January's CCC). But we still think there's more to come with a few tweaks...will be testing this theory out in the next month or two. Both plots are healthily full with a nice torque curve (if a tad low). Rev limit is hard set at 8150.

Photographs can be found here...at least they can if I've done the link right. I can do higher res scans if wanted but as they are makes the images manageable (they're all less than 200k I think).

I have a spreadsheet giving costs to the nth degree. I'm just looking for a repository for all the info' and will post a more complete link at some point in the near future (hopefully this weekend).

If anyone has any questions (or wants the sheet before I get it on the web somewhere), please mail me or post here.

C7 AJM

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 8 Jan 2001 22:48:48