Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Changing my gearbox...

Andy Clayson

My gearbox has died ☹️. It was being service by C and during a test run it stuck in fourth and did not come out. Taking the top off the gearbox revealed a random distribution of joints, springs, etc. It's knackered.

My 7 is a 1.6k SS with a standard 5-speed box.

I need to decide what to do and I'd welcome any advice or thoughts from you all. I guess my options are:

- refurbish/rebuild the existing one

- replace with a new 5-speed

- replace with a standard Caterham 6-speed

- replace with something else

C advised me that if I go to a 6-speed, I might want to swap the rear diff as well. I've seen the recent discussion on final ratios and that seems to suggest that if I want a decent top speed for track days I should do this, but C want circa £1k for the privilege of doing this...

Of course, sunny days are on us, and I'd like to get this done quickly. I also live somewhere close to the arctic circle (Middlesbrough *smile*) so if any actiosn involve using someone other than C I'd like them to be in the northern half of the country if possible.

So, does anyone have any opinions on swapping to the C 6-speed or should I go with a Quaife/etc. What would you look at? Also, should I change the rear diff ratio? If yes, does it have to be done now or can it wait a bit?

Thanks in advance.

If you can spare the cash, go for the six speed box, its a joy to use and you soon just slip into the rhythm of endlessly changing - increases second hand value of the car .

Word of warning... I have been known to attempt to select reverse in other vehicles, for want of a sixth gear.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

If it were my problem I would FIRST get a Price quote for:

1) a rebuild

2) a replacement 5spd

3) a price quote for the 6 spd

The price of the 6 speeder is rather steep *eek* in my opinion.

alternative: @ £1K for a new caterham 5 speed you'd be mad. - for the same money speak to Steve Perks - SPC - semi helical close ratio 5 speed. This is the second box i've had off him (in 2 caterhams). Ratios are c. 2.34, 1.54, 1.21, 1, .89/.92 i think. Obviously its not a 6 speed but for a fraction of the price it is as good as 5 speeds come. Straight swop - in & out with the old box. Plus if your running a 3.62 - get a price for an exchange 3.9/4.1 diff. Sub £1500 should buy you a lot more oooommppphhhh. I am running a 4.1 - very little penalty for long road use - except for a wildy inaccurate speedo reading.

JLZ7447

1.6K this week

• Leadership Team

Andy,

Are you interested in a 5 speed straight out of a 1600K Caterham? Andy Best has just swapped to 6 speed, and the "old" 5 (circa 10,000 miles I think) is sat nice and clean awaiting a new owner. I know he will not want a fortune for it - would get you running quickly - he's Manchester area.

Stu.

Road and race transmissions are highly recommended. I had a diff done there.

They are near Sevenoaks in Kent. Give them a call if you are near.

A 5sp CR box is sweet enough in a 7. Quaife / SPC do a semi heli version that's not too bonkers noisy.

Alt. BGH. Search the atchives there's loads of praise about him.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 4 May 2003 10:14:00

Edited by - stevefoster on 4 May 2003 18:16:27

Andy

I have tabulated some figures below giving the top speed in each gear for a standard Caterham 5 speed using the 3.92 final drive ratio normally fitted, and for the 3.62 final drive ratio normally fitted to the 6 speed box.

I don't know the max permitted revs of your engine so have calculated these figures at 6750 rpm max for my 1.8K. The numbers scale linearly so you can move the rev limit up or down accordingly very easily.

I have also tabulated the normal CC 6 speed box as supplied with its normal 3.62 final drive for comparison. (and with a 3.92 fitted)

Not knowing your tyre/wheel combination, I have used my own size of 205/45/16 which gives a circumference of 73.1". You can scale again for your own tyre size or I would be happy to re-run the numbers if you let me know your actual tyre/wheel size and max rev limit.

You can see that the final drive ratio choice available doesn't really affect the speeds much on a 5 speed box. Your speedo will misread of course with the 3.62 final drive fitted if no change of speedo drive is made and it also goes without saying that your ultimate top speed in the high gears is limited by air resistance (it's claimed to be 125mph or so for mine).

CALCULATED TOP SPEEDS

5 sp with 3.92 final drive (normal as supplied by CC)

1_______35mph

2_______66mph

3_______95mph

4_______119mph

5_______145mph

5 sp with 3.62 final drive

1_______38mph

2_______71mph

3_______102mph

4_______129mph

5_______157mph

6 sp with 3.62 final drive (normal as supplied by CC)

1_______48mph

2_______64mph

3_______81mph

4_______98mph

5_______114mph

6_______129mph

6 sp with 3.92 final drive

1_______44mph

2_______59mph

3_______75mph

4_______90mph

5_______105mph

6_______119mph

Note the limited (by gear ratio) top speed on the last combination.

Hope this is of some help

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 5 May 2003 12:22:42