Click here if you are having website access problems ×

trolley jack blues

fool on the hill

I am about to take delivery of a K series

caterham (2nd hand from caterhams).

halfords are doing a trolley jack and axle stand offer.

The jack lifts from 13 to 46 cms.

Short of buying it is there any way I can check I can get it under the car?

Perhaps someone knows the answer!

thanks in advance

James

If it ain't broke, maybe it's time I had a look at it...

Edited by - fool on the hill on 8 Jan 2001 11:12:51

It depends on what size wheels and if the spring platforms are adjustable then how the ride height has been set. My car doesn't run particularly low but to get the trolley jack under I have to put a small piece of wood under one wheel - just an inch thick will do, put it on the ground in front of the wheel and push the car forward onto it (or put it on the ground behind the well and push the car backwards onto it...).

Mike

I bought one have to use wood (15mm chipboard kitchen offcuts) also (Vx HPC on 16" rims). The only other thibg that is annoying is that the jack won't lift the car high enough to use the axle stands on their highest setting.

Andrew C Winfer

Someone wrote: the jack won't lift the car high enough to use the axle stands on their highest setting

It will if you put something (like a couple of bricks) under the jack and then lift.

"But it won't fit under the car!" You cry.

It will if you jack it up onto the axle stands at a low or mid setting first.

Cheers, Davebo.

C7 CAR.

At the front, if the jack is too high to fit under the second front diagonally braced X member (as recommended), jack the car slightly using the first X member to take up the slack in the suspension, without lifting the engine weight, then pack it with some solid wood (NEVER CHIPBOARD BUT EG SOME LOAD BEARING 4" x 2" or FENCE POST OFFCUTS). Then re position and lift using the recommended second X member, a 2 stage lift in effect. At the rear suggest to jack under the axle either side of the diff. The axle stands can be used under the chassis at the side members just forward of the rear corner. Or alternatively under the axle casing, but the suspension will then be compressed, not ideal for some tasks.

To save damaging the chassis tubes you could use a piece of wood (19mm ply?) or thickish alloy plate on the jack pad as a packer. I do not recommmend jacking under the towing eye as some have said (unstable eccentric load)

For confidence, before commencing work, as well as the axle stands put some robust timbers as above under the axle case also and/or front chassis .

Sorry to 'preach' but I have investigated some fatal and serious accidents that occured when persons worked under vehicles supported inadequately or just on the jack.

I made an impromptu quick lift jack that worked amazingly well at the rear using offcuts from the oak beams that had gone to make Jo's parents new timber-framed garage.

Considering the quality of the wood, I guess this is not a budget option but it confirmed in my mind the sense of getting a quick lift jack.

Not many jacks will fit under a 7, another top tip is to "spread" the load whenever you jack up... I speak from experience, those spaceframe tubes *DO* bend quite spectacularly... once you get the trolley jack "head" under, use some wood and carpet... bottom line, Mr. Jecks has it sussed teeth.gif (or dig a pit)

Andy Rowland

Woo Hoo, click on Song II (sic)... (natch)

I am not a number, I am a free man!

Listen to Lotus 7 KAR 120C by Booting Accelerator