Click here if you are having website access problems ×

springs

Mr G

*eek* I have the standard suspensions springs issued with the superlight. I am thinking of uprating them. I used the car mainly for road use (even if the speed is a little exessive0, althought the track days are a frequent calendar event.

Any thoughts on the spring ratings to go for ?

Personally I would find 300/170 too stiff. Stiff = fast is not always correct. It is down to personal driving taste though. There is no wrong ot right.

I run 260 front and tried 180 rears and am now trying 150 rears.

I know some of the SLR and VX race boys run bonkers stiff all round but as a good all rounder a slightly softer setup can pay of esp if the weather is changeable.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Personally I would find 300/170 too stiff. Stiff = fast is not always correct. It is down to personal driving taste though. There is no wrong ot right.

I run 260 front and tried 180 rears and am now trying 150 rears.

I know some of the SLR and VX race boys run bonkers stiff all round but as a good all rounder a slightly softer setup can pay of esp if the weather is changeable.

The ratio of 300/170 is very close to my chosen one. There is definitely a lot in the ratio of stiffness front / rear for that 'right' feeling of balance.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Dampers and springs, one of the pains in my life!

I had some new Spax dampers which were way too stiff. I thought it was my spring set up...325 front, 185 rear. I then went to 275 front and 150 rear, still wy too stiff and did what i should have done in the first place and investigated the dampers at the same time. Spoke to Spax and got them to revalve. Put the 325/185 combo back on...still too stiff....now I 've just gone to 275/150 again to see if that will get me where I want to be. I'm looking for track orientated, but still retaining teeth and fillings on the road! *smile*

MR G

as you can gather by now it all depends on the individual .my set up was good on the track and on the road but a little wanderer over 130 on tight country roads i tended to spill my drink 😬

Fred, was that the Scottish grape?

I switched to R500 dampers (almost new from Blat Chat) and 250 fronts but can't recall the rears... I do know that it is what Caterhams recommended for R500's.

I actually think they are a touch hard for our less than smooth Sussex lanes but for me there great advantage is that I don't bottom out - especially on the farm drive.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine