Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Suspension - Rear radius arms

boughtoneatlast

Could anyone tell me the difference between the 2 fixing points on the radius arms. I have had a problem with the lower ones and wondered what effect raising the fixing point will make.

Also, one of the lower ones has striped a thread on the fixing, what is the best way to solve this problem....??

Thanks

Supersport 1.6k

The advice Peter has just given applied to us, when he helped us move our radius arms to the lower position. The desire to do this came from a combination of me trying to describe how the car felt round corners, and Peter having a go himself. Moving the arms down made a big difference/improvement in the handling, with little discernable difference in comfort. Good move *thumbup*

😬35,000 miles in 19 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

ah ha!

You could have just diagnosed me as well! I've been very disappointed at the behaviour of my 2001 Cat - snap oversteer with 50/50 chance of getting it back - whereas my ancient Westie could be punted to any angle at will and bought back at will - thought I was ace super duper driver. And then I got in my new, just finished Caterham ....oops!

I've not had enough time to try the other setting - i will now! Integrale rebuild temporarily on-hold!

Bri

I wouldn't advise use of the upper setting on a post '96 car as it gives a nasty snap-oversteer handling characteristic.

I've had mine on upper position. I tried the lower position and it just seemed to understeer a bit more easily and was noticably less comfortable. There is a school of thought that roll-steer is more pronounced with the radius arm in the upper position which may suit a front heavy car but I'm damned if I know whether that makes a difference. I just prefered the upper position.

Alex

Its the roll steer effect Alex mentions that was improved when we moved the radius arm down. I am sure everything else on the cars set up affects the result, but with our pretty standard car, it was a marked improvement. Best way to describe the 'symptoms' - driving around a big under-motorway roundabout (on a quiet evening) gradually building up speed - as the speed increases there is a 'feeling' that the back is trying to just start to roll out and try and go a little faster - not talking over steer here (though that would be the result) - it almost feels like the car is twisting, with the back rolling more than the front. Anyway - moving the radius arm ON OUR CAR *smile* had a positive affect on this behaviour.

If you ever happen to catch Peter C on his driveway with a De Dion bar, radius arms and other links laid out as if on the car, ask him to show you what is happening underneath with the various positions! Its an excellent demonstration of what the change does! I think you can do the same thing with 3 pencils, but full size is better!

o/t - Mark, did you get your scart thingy?

😬35,000 miles in 19 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

Edited by - angus&tessa on 2 May 2003 09:13:38

Peter

As I was driving in this morning the same thought occured to me as your suggestion re drilling out and fixing longer bolts with nylocs.

So I was pleased to see that it is your suggestion as that gives me confidence in my thought process. I have noticed a change in characteristics, but they seem to differ from others, as an example, the ride has become very jiggly(?), which in itself does not feel so sure footed on the road, so I am keen to return to the lower fitting point.

But I will be doing this with Bolts and nylocs as it just pulled out before giving me a real shock as the car crabbed!!!

Peter/anyone, having not looked closely at the fixing yet to guage sizes etc, if I were to drill out the thread thats left and leave the brazed nut for strength purposes, do you not what length bolt I should be looking for as a trip out to find one is on the cards!!

All help appreciated

Supersport 1.6k

Edited by - boughtoneatlast on 2 May 2003 16:24:33

Edited by - boughtoneatlast on 2 May 2003 22:16:32