Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Complete undertray?

bert

Kumshick 's turbo cars also had (have?) a largish Wing inconspicuously mounted directly under the nose. Presumably to keep the car from 'lifting' at stupid (for a 7) speeds.

Dino - I'm logging a corrected ground speed based on all four wheels and an accelerometer - you'd be surprised how much all the different input sources disagree with one another.

It's very difficult to get *accurate* ground speeds from wheel sensors - you will get a reasonable indication but no more +/- 5% is about as good as it gets maybe a little less if only using one wheel for input.

Arnie did use a GPS to calibrate his Stack unit, it was mine. With the new carbon fibre undertray fitted we then drove around (now with the Stack and the GPS unit fitted) and did various tests.

I don't have a really clear recollection of events as reading the GPS at various speeds between 120 and 170mph whilst in Arnie's car would be hard enough anyway but with having to crouch in the footwell so as not to mess up the aerodynamics - well you can imagine. I can confirm though that the irritating flat spot in K2RUM is now moved well up the scale 😬

Given we did these tests on a Saturday and through the centre of East Grinstead only added to the sense of occasion. We duly proved not only that K2RUM is the aerodynamic marvel that Colin Chapman dreamt of but also provided empirical evidence that last years' Curbrough sprint was a rogue result in K2RUM's otherwise implausible record.

*tongue*

shrewdcookie - my site

'We duly proved not only that K2RUM is the aerodynamic marvel that Colin Chapman dreamt of but also provided empirical evidence that last years' Curbrough sprint was a rogue result in K2RUM's otherwise implausible record.'

There's always this year to put the record straight...although I for one won't be holding my breath.

170 mph through East Grinstead is hard to imagine......in fact 170mph in a Caterham is hard to imagine full stop

'aerodynamic flatspot' isn't a term I've come across previously 🤔

Home of BDR1200

Edited by - edmandsd on 1 May 2003 21:12:25

I'm going to wind the boost up step by step until I experience problems then I'll consider how to tackle them (I have no problems currently at 135mph on the drag strip and the BDT should theoretically deliver circa 160 mph terminal speeds) I still won't be able to compete with 170 mph down the high street though *smile*

Home of BDR1200

Hi Matthew,

A mate of mine who's currently having an all singing and dancing 2.3lt aspirated Cossie built by HTR for fitting in a new SV chassis, has recently returned to the UK after a long spell on the East coast. He went along to the local drag strip a few times and was amazed to see the average road car drive in and run in the 9's or quicker with circa 140 mph terminal speeds, and then drive out again. A real favouite over there at the moment seems to be rotary powered Toyota Starlets (the old rear wheel drive version). It seems that the US are always 1 - 2 seconds ahead of us on the drag strip, so although I mightn't have 'American roots' I like to use the yanks performances as my personal benchmark.

Home of BDR1200