Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

vx trackdays

Swiss_Tony

I have nearly got my 7 ready for a few track days.

Am I going to have a problem with the noise regs?

It is a 96 16v 2.0 vx with carbs.

If so are there any fairly simple cures?

I was hoping to go to Brands Hatch. I was also thinking of Goodwood!

Can the noise be easily measured by me or do I just turn up and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance James

What an excellent idea... A trackday for Vauxhall engined cars only....

Then we won't have to weave in and out of the slower K cars and exploded R500's!

What do you think Alex???

Maybe we could even have our own website - www.vauxhalls-are-better-than-k-series.com???

AW

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

Goodwood is a nightmare for noise! You're best off going for a supertrap muffler or a 7 inch vauxhall racing silencer. Both of these should get you past the 98dB static test. They also sell a bolt on muffler at Goodwood that you can buy off the marshalls for about 50 quid. Without these you'll be running at about 105+ dB at 2/3 redline on a vauxhall with carbs and a 4 to 1 exhaust with 5 inch silencer. It's also worth changing up when you pass the pit entrance to avoid the induction passing the drive-by limit.

I went for the 7 inch silencer, it's pricey an heavy but runs well under the limit.

At Brands, I think that 105 is the limit but I've never been checked.

Albert

Denial? Moi?

Curborough Aug 2000

Puffy in XTC (K series) = 65.04s

Puffy in VDU (a proper engine)= 61.94s - 9th

Me in VDU = 61.02s - 3rd

I think this speaks for itself. teeth.gif

Lets look at this further. Jane Farthing won the event in a Vauxhall built some 8 years ago, beating some pretty serious machinery from you K boys, including a pair of R500's

Now, even if we take the assumption that the Puffmeister might be a better driver than me (or at least a lighter one!) I think it's clear from this that Vauxhalls beat you K boys hands down! We may be from older technology but don't discount us yet!

Alex

cool.gif

Edited by - Alex Wong on 9 Jan 2001 00:35:43

Wongster,

I can't believe the gall of your:

Denial? Moi?

Curborough Aug 2000

Puffy in XTC (K series) = 65.04s

Puffy in VDU (a proper engine)= 61.94s - 9th

Me in VDU = 61.02s - 3rd

I think this speaks for itself.

I take it this was VDU on sprint ACB10s and XTC on 16 inchers with a big horsepower advantage to VDU. Let's remember that Puffy is now taking time out on you around Brands Hatch.

Denial? I think so.

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 9 Jan 2001 05:42:27

Peter,

I don't deny that Puffy is a better driver than me but it's just fun winding him up! Lord knows he does it to me enough! smile.gif

It goes without saying that singing his praises as a driver only adds to the pressure he will have to deal with at the next sprint! teeth.gif

The mind games started ages ago and although at times they may appear serious, they're not really. All 7's are great cars.

Alex

Graham,

True. Richard Hay won FTD in an astounding time in his out of the box R500 on slicks. In class 5 though, the Vx's have held sway for the last 2 events against the SLR's and R500's. Once at the hands of the Puffmeister in VDU and more recently, Jane blitzed the class in her Vx car. I know the K cars will be dominant in class 5 in time though. In fact, with my new classes, the K cars will dominate every class except class 1 sooner or later, unless the Bike cars start turning up. C'est la vie, but it's all good fun!

Alex

Thank you Peter for pointing out to Alex the total mis-match of VDU and XTC at the August sprint. Oops I just admited VDU is more potent than XTC blush.gif but throttle bodied Vx vs Standard K Supersport is abit unfair don't you think.

Anyone (Keith or Jules) want to lend me an R500 for May to put Alex straight on a few things wink.gif

Powder (doesn't really get competitive behind the wheel) Puff teeth.gif

a.k.a. Gordon (I'll beat Alex if it kills me) Cardew

Puffy Puff Puff,

I can just see it now. How I beat the Puffmeister in Slipperman's R500 in an antiquated Vauxhall powered 7. An all colour centre page spread for Low Flying. teeth.gif

Keith, go on & lend him the car. It would be a great challenge for every one there to try and beat the Puffmeister in it and I'm up for a go. (Assuming the engines back in by then!). I'll probably fail miserably but it would be a laugh trying!

Alex