Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Alloy Fuel Filler

Tim Smith

I've been offered one of these for my Supersport but seem to remember being told that they can be a bit of a bastard to fit, something to do with breather hoses. Anyone got any experience with fitting these fillers and/or handy hints and tips?

Tim

If its like mine (i.e. quite a late one with a barrel style key - now discontinued as it fails SVA) then dont bother, they're cr@p. The keys dont fit very well (I wouldn't expect anyone other than me to be able to get mine open, its such a phaff). Once the caps off it takes forever to fill up as the restrictor is too small and backs the flow up causing the petrol pump to stop and/or fuel to p1ss out all over the fog lamps (and your trousers, embarassingly).

Just thinking about it now I'm wondering whether to dump mine in favour of a traditional aero filler with the lift and twist type toggle available from Tweeks???

BC

My Caterham alloy fuel cap (purchased jan this year) is no problem at all and is well made. However it is for non fuel injection car (i.e. has no nozzle restrictor, and is vented through the cap). This is very similar to the type sold by DT, just has a Caterham logo. I am sure you could fit this however you would not have a restriction on the type of fuel you use (so you could damage you Cat if fitted 😬 ), and your tank would be vented to atmosphere instead of venting via the caracole canister (not sure of the legal / SVA implications of that). I have fitted vented Monza style fuel caps on late fuel injected Mini's with no running problems, however the restrictor was built into the tank.

Hope this helps

Chris....

H15 SVN Get it !

Bob, mine's the same! Can't get the bloody thing open when I need to fill up, then finally manage to open it (wondering all the time how in the hell the key didn't break), and I can't get the bloody fuel into the car, no problem getting all over the back of the car and fog light. Finally when the fuel's in and the cap's back on (after another mammoth struggle) and I take the first bend, all the bloody fuel pours out onto the road and fog light AGAIN.

I've even been black flagged on a track day for spilling fuel onto the track!!!

Bas**rd cap.

Oh yes, Tim, don't bother!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

I've been black flagged too although I find that the fuel pours out from the breather underneath as you dont need to have the carbon cannister connected in the UK at the moment. My cars breather came just pointing down at the back RHS corner of the car. I dont see the need for the sealed cap if you have an open breather???

All very strange...

BC