Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fog Light Failure

Tyrone

Tyrone

The obvious first.

1. Have you checked fuse 5 (5A) which supplies power to the fog lamp?

2. Fuse 5 derives its power in turn from fuse 9 (15A) which is the dip beam fuse.

3. Are you sure the dipped beams are working?

4. The fog lamp will ONLY come on when the dipped headlamps are on. The fog lamp will switch OFF when you select main beam on the headlamps. This is true for EU2 and EU3. I don't know if it is true for other variants.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris,

I've checked all the fuses. I haven't checked the fog lights with the headlamps on at all so will try this when I get home. If this works I will be forever grateful. Will post to let you know.

Cheers

Brian

I had the same a fortnight ago. The tester wired them up to the sidelight switch to pass the MOT, then told me to get a new switch!

Are you sure the switch is OK? I took mine apart & found the slidy thing that moves inside the switch to make a circuit had twisted so wasnt making contact. Fixed that & they worked.

Unfortunately I dropped a tool on one of them & cracked the housing. Any one know how to access the bolts - the fuel tank & bottom armour plating is in the way.

Tried the fogs with the lights on but still no joy ☹️ I've done a contnuity test on the switch and it is working. I'm going to replace the relay tonight and see if that works. If that doesn't work then I shall shout a lot and get very, very drunk. Unless of course you know any different.

Brian

Brian

If the headlights are working, there is nothing wrong with the relay. Did you try the foglight with both dipped and main beams? It only works with dipped headlights ON not main beam.

1. Try substituting the bulb from the reversing lamp to ensure it's not a bulb problem. Try the foglamp bulb in the reversing lamp unit too. That way you test the bulb and the contacts in the foglamp unit.

2. Check you have 12v on fuse 5 with dipped headlights ON. If not there is a broken connection between fuse 5 and fuse 9. (fuse 5 draws its power from fuse 9 - the dipped lights).

3. Check you have 12v on the red/orange wire leaving the foglamp switch with the switch ON and the dipped beams ON. If not check that you have 12v coming into the switch (red/blue). If you have volts on the input but nothing on the output, the switch is dicky.

4. Check you have 12v on the wire (red/orange) at the foglamp unit with the foglamp switch ON and the dipped beams ON. If not, but you have power on fuse 5 (see 2. above) and the output of the foglamp switch, then there is a break in the wire between the switch and the foglamp.

Go through it logically and carefully as above and let me know the results of the tests. We'll crack it!

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 29 Apr 2003 14:59:21