Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ground clearance zetecs

Paul D Jones

Ground clearance on zetec powered cars this seams to have caused a few people some concern I am part way through building a zetec powered car the standard sump has a square lump hanging down which if left as standard reduces the ground clearance to approximately 65mm far too risky for my liking the choices for a low line/raised/increased ground clearance sump is from W*******d’s Paul Dunnell or Race Line as I know of at the moment there must be others. There is a bit of difference in price but that’s up to the individual I personally have a Paul Dunnell one and it looks very good it is exchange though so you need the one off you engine or an other one as is W*******d’s.

The Paul Dunnell sump gives a ground clearance of 23mm below the chassis rail so a major off would be needed to do any damage to the sump, it is baffled for oil surge and rebated where the starter motor fits, also Paul Dunnell modifies the oil pick up pipe to suit. The lowest point now on my car is the bell housing and the tube brace under the gearbox down the tunnel I hope this will help clear up any questions on this matter. I don’t recommend learning the hard way i.e. No oil no engine or braking the thermostat housing and boiling the engine after grounding the sump hard enough to damage it.

Paul.

paul