Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tickey tickey fuel pump - all day long (VX2.0)

microlightman

It doesnt just tickey tickey prime.

It tickey tickey's all day. Unless your doing say, 50, when "other noises" come into play.

I think thats too noisy.

Is a) the pump on its way out?

b) something downstream not regulating flow & driving the pump too hard?

c) driver being overly sensitive?

Its a VX HPC. If there is a problem, what aftermarket bits should I be looking at to replace it ?

(potentially taking very mild affinity to upgradeitits into account)

Thanks anybody?

Is it Carbs or Inj.?

If it is a Carb car: Normally carb cars prime and then go quiet. It could be that it is having problems providing pressure, so check filters you have. It is a good idea to havea pre-pump filter as well as a post/pre carb filter.

If it needs replacing I would go for a Webon one from James Whiting, reliable and quiet.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Phil,

Its carbs. And yeah - Priming and then going quiet is my experience too.

I can see how a pre-pump filter would affect things - if it was blocked the poor old pump would be pulling hard.

I dont know if there is one on an HPC.

I dont think I understand why a post-pump filter would affect things?

Cheers.

I run both more as a belt and braces approach really. The pre-pump one should catch everything, the second is just in case.

Trace the fuel line from the tank forward and see if you have one fitted. It could also be that dirt is in the tank and blocking the pick-up pipe.. but filter is quicker to check.

Where is your pump located? It may be close to that.

If the car doesn't loose power under hard driving then I guess the pump is still working ok?

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Phil,

Judging by the ticking, the pump is in the rear n/s wheel arch area. I'll go and trace the line.

I'm guessing that if the pump was poor any power loss would me continuous and therefore wouldnt be noticed until the pump was replaced.

If it was dirt, it might come & go a bit more. Which it doesn't.

I should just go get a new one eh?

My car has a Facet Red Top fuel pump (Interuptor type) and ticks away all the time, slows down a bit but not much when carbs are primed. I thought this odd but when I enquired I was told this was normal with this type of pump. The fact it was noisy in someways was usefull when the car conked out. The lack of fuel pump noise was obivious. Now switching to a Facet Solid state due to the cut out and the other problems I have heard associated with this pump.

Alan and his Yellow and Green BDR.

My HPC had the little square type of Facet fitted when I got it. It wasn't mounted on rubber bobbins either. These quieten them down a lot.

It could be that the pick up pipe is partially blocked making it work harder.

If it gets blocked proper then the 10A fuse will go. 2nd from the top on the fuse box from memory on my 1997 HPC.

I think the Webcon pump is a far more civilised pump.

As Phil says pre pump and post pump filtering works ok. They say imitation is the a form of flattery don't they 😬 Phil!

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 25 Apr 2003 20:22:48

HPC carb cars had a Facet Solid State Electronic pump and these do tick all the time, although more slowly once the float chambers have filled and the fuel line has pressurised. Good pumps otherwise - I used one for several years on a 235 Vx with no problems.