Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall Injection Upgrades

Harry Flatters

Looks like the winter project will be to bolt on a set of throttle bodies (Missus permitting!). Having looked at various options it seems to come down to QED Direct-to-head system or SBD Taper TB's on a manifold. QED say their system is the dog's sphericals and SBD say theirs is better cos you dont get a proper venturi effect on the intake with direct-to-head.

Now I really am confused. I'm sure there are supporters of both systems out there. Can I get some good objective opinion on (a) which may be the better system and why and (b) which may be easier to fit, throttle linkages etc.

I await the onslaught.

For starters, all of this kit is actually made by Jenvey.

"SBD say theirs is better cos you dont get a proper venturi effect on the intake with direct-to-head" - Eh? If the manifold is straight then all it achieves is the opportunity for misalignment with the bodies. There are quite a few people using the direct-to-head bodies on K-series now, and they work just as well as the seperate manifold/bodies combo. Direct-to-head is simpler and cheaper.

Mike

I can vouch for the above as I have DTH on my K. Also "feels" like a neater, simpler solution, and simple is always best!

One thing to remember - make sure you get red ones as this makes your car shed loads faster and makes the under bonnet area look bloody good. As Jenvey prefer not to sell direct in the UK, try Lumenition (QED wouldn't sell me red ones, buggers).

C7 AJM

You swine! The carbon inserts look good (though I guess you need them more on the Vx ;) ). I reckon this arrangement must be worth the equivalent of 5bhp.

I was mucking about, aesthetics only (if you're into details).

I'll hopefully be posting a few pictures of my installation somewhere this weekend...

C7 AJM

I bought a set of Alpha Weber TBs and ECU some while ago, ostensibly from a written off Cav. I guess the guy couldn't cope with all the extra power!

Point is, does anyone have any experience of this set up, and would I still have to go to an Alpha-Weber dealer to set up the mapping if I use non standard cams, which I will almost certainly do?

BTW, they are black, does this make them more or less powerfull?