Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1800 K Series Supersport ECU

DC

I have nearly finished the build on my new 1800 Supersport (oh to be back on the road again), but was alarmed to read in this months edition of Cars & Car Conversion that my engine was out performed on the rolling road test both in power and torque by a 1600 Supersport, and they blamed the ECU being wrongly mapped. If this is the case, I believe the Rover unit can't be reprogrammed. Is there another ECU that will give me better performance? I see that Lumenition have a new kit out for the K series, comprising a progammable ECU and new throttle bodies. Has anybody fitted these, and discovered what increases are achievable in power and torque?

I think the thing to bear in mind is that every engine is different, and they can vary by a fair bit.

Also, can't remember exact quoted figures but I didn't think there were huge differences between 1600 and 1800, it was just that the action happened lower down the range and the 1800 had a fuller torque curve (which wouldn't necessarily be reflected in peak output).

Don't have CCC in front of me to see which figures you were comparing, but I suspect it was the one that had an Emerald bolted to it as a test?

I think the suspicion was that the engine in question was unusually low on power for the spec. with the std. ECU which changed with the Emerald fitted. It'd be interesting to see if similar gains could be had with one giving the correct (or "better") quoted power as I don't believe they could do this at the time.

Having said that, a programmable ECU wouldn't be a bad idea as it opens up the upgrade path (though it may be more sensible to enjoy the car as is first :) Changing it would also screw any warranty you have). There are a few available but I think the two most commonly employed are the Emerald M3D and one made by MBE - I have this one but can't remember the model number!

Can't comment on what increases the ECU and TBs will give alone as I've jumped a few steps further than that from the off, but general wisdom suggests that peak figure increases won't be huge but throttle response and driveability would improve. Again, it also gives you the bits necessary for higher outputs...

Once you've got the car finished, if you're near-ish to London, why not pop down to Emerald. Dave/Karl will do you a power run for a very modest fee so that you at least have a benchmark for your car and a comparison against the others in CCC (as rolling roads also differ widely). You'll then be able to see what differences are made later...

C7 AJM

Andy, thanks for the reply. I was going to run the car for a few thousand miles before making any changes, but I completely forgot about the warranty. In the rolling road test in CCC the 1.8 SS produced 130 bhp @ 6700 rpm and 102ft lbs @ 6300 rpm. The non SS 1.8 produced 126bhp @ 6300 rpm & 129 ft lbs @ 2950 rpm on the standard ECU, and 138bhp @ 6300 rpm & 129ft lbs @ 3250 rpm with the M3DK ECU fitted. This compares with the 1.6 SS which produced 145bhp @ 7100 & 114ft ibs @ 5300 (phew, what a nerd I'm becoming). It beggers the question, is the SS option worth it on a 1.8? As you mention, all cars are different, and I think it will be a good idea to go to Emerald to obtain 'benchmark figures' for my car. Have you got their address? I did have a test drive in a 1.8SS before I ordered it, and what impressed me was the pulling power in comparison with my then 1.6SS. The truth will soon be known, when I get back on the road (engine was started for the first time on Christmas morning, how's that for a Christmas present).

I personally think the supersport kit represents poor value and is no use when you want to increase power further. A better route is to fit Piper 270 cams and an Emerald M3DK ecu and freeflow filter. This will give slightly more power than the supersport kit and allow for future upgrades. You also need to consider exhausts, the Caterham side exit with integral Cat and short primary pipes terminating in the engine bay has proved its self in limiting power. If you have to run a cat fit the 4:2:1 system .

I always thought thought that the 4:2:1 system wouldn't marry up with the Cat silencer. If it does, that a route I would like to take, as would solve the MOT problem in three years time.

I always thought thought that the 4:2:1 system wouldn't marry up with the Cat silencer. If it does, that a route I would like to take, as would solve the MOT problem in three years time.