Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil.................again

Dickie Normuss

I have seen many posts about synthetic/mineral oil, whether you should run one first then change, or use one all the time. I am no expert but I did find an article in a club magazine, part of which I have reproduced below for info.

"XXXXX has long recognised the benefits of Mobil 1, and filled the cars that leave it's production plants with the golden nectar. The only stipulation with earlier models was that the engines were to be run in with mineral oil prior to accepting the fully synthetic Mobil 1. This was because Mobil 1 did not allow the components to bed in to reduce blow by, oil consumption and give good performance. The introduction of more recent models heralded the latest engine components and tolerances. This negated the need fo a runnng in procedure and the cars now run from new on Mobil 10W-40. Thre is about a five year development cycle for upgrading Mobil 1 and we have literally just released the latest formulation to the public. It encompasses a novel anti-wear technology called Supersyn. The base oil is similar to the previous version, already being extremely stable at all temperatures. If your engine has not been overhauled for many years (20 plus), it will undoubtedly have been run on mineral oil. It will have been coated internally with lacquers and carbon deposits. The seals will have swelled with age, heat and contact with mineral oil. So good advice is to stay with an appropriate mineral oil to avoid any problems. However, if the vehicle is particularly oil tight and has good low emissions the owner may try a modern technology product. They will soon know that the engine is unreceptive by the consumption of the lubricant. If this is not evident then they can only benefit from the switch. Consumption will be the only downside and a reversion to the normal product will resume the status quo".

And no, I don't work for Mobil. 😬

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Is it easy to rob a bank and get away with it???

Oil is a religious topic.. especially so with the older crowd.

..IF.. you have a Heat Problem, synth oil is a Godsend, if not it is just another way to waste money :-) Suggest Mobil Delvac as a clever substitute for the watery thin Mobil 1 (do a web search for more info than you prolly want to read)