Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

X-Flow to 4 speed clutch woes

PACR

Not in a Seven but...

Something very odd has gone wrong with my clutch - I think it must have been poorly aligned and the release bearing had worn badly, and knacked the input shaft sleeve as well. The oddest thing it that the release arm has worn away a big chunk of the bellhousing at the fulcrum point - thus stopping the clitch from working - if the release bearing was describing an eccentric circle I can see how this arm would rub to and fro at this point. The fingers are worn badly as well - I should have fixed it properly when I first noticed it.

I've got a spare box but have no idea of the condition of the internals - all the teeth are there at least! Best (only...) plan so far is to fit two cap head bolts for the arm to sit / pivot on / against. I can't think how else to build up the bell housing? Any ideas and how do I align the driven plate and keep it aligned when fitting the box back in?

Should there be a spigot bearing in the end of the crank / flywheel. Manual refers to one but I can't see it on the exploeded views or find remains of one (could be reason for failure?)?

PACR

Definately ought to be a spigot bearing in the end of the crankshft, but how that would relate to your knackered clutch release bearing and arm I don't know, didn't it shake and vibrate a lot? sounds like it's been stuffed for a long time by the way you describe it, was it the right bearing and arm?, any grease (copperslip) on the release bearing carrier tube, or the arm pivot in the bellhousing?, sounds like a trip to the motor vehicle component recycling depot for another bellhousing and a new clutch and spigot bearing, have fun, get dirty. Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.