Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Waterproof clothing - screenless 7s

Nick

What waterproof clothing do those with screenless 7s use? Does good bike-wear work well, or are there better options?

Looking at the stone chips in my screen, I wonder if you always need to wear a crash helmet.

Answers on a postcard please...

Thanks

I don't have a screenless 7 but am often out in deluges and you still get pretty wet without doors etc.!

I've recently invested in a decent general outdoor jacket (a Berghaus Storm or something). It's absolutely superb and not only keeps me bone dry but can also have a fleece zipped in/out for warmth and has well placed pockets for getting stuff stored (e.g. keys, phone, wallet) even with harnesses on.

I guess any gore-tex (or similar) 3 quarter length coat would do the job equally well.

I also found that the (peaked) hood is excellent at keeping water out of your eyes when done properly.

The other benefit is that you can use them day to day without too much worry of looking odd!

I haven't yet invested in leg coverings as I've found 80% of mine don't get wet as they're under the dash or covered by the bottom of the jacket. When I don't have a passenger the tonneau also helps.

As for anything else, I have a pair of gloves handy just in case (regular leather/sheepskin pair as if it gets that cold I can barely feel anything anyway!) plus a decent hat. I have a particularly mad one for general use but Santa just brought me a fleece like Caterham one which is great (if perhaps a little sad).

Nick,

I always wear a fullface helmet.

As Andy says above A Gortex jacket is excellent with a high neck to keep out chilly breezes (at 70mph ofcourse)..

In warmer weather a fleecy does the job...

In the wet a pair of lightweight waterproof trousers keeps you compeletely sorted...

At Brooklands skidpan I didn't bother wearing waterproof trousers or tonneau...sideways in deep water it only took about10mins to bail out the car and half an hour for me to drybiggrin.gif

Andy - thanks. I'll give a yell if I venture Dorking way (re intercoms) - so double thanks!

Chris - where can I get a good garage? Will it fold away into my pocket?

John - thanks. Are all Goretex jackets much of a muchness do you think, or are some much better suited to a 7 than others? re trousers, well, much the same point really!

Obviously any old waterproof top and tail will do the job - but I've been wondering if anyone has found some that work particularly well in a 7, or whether they are all of a muchness.

Nick, I use an aeroscreen Seven fulltime (see http://freespace.virgin.net/shaw.clan) and use an old Gortex walking coat and over trousers. The Old 'cos I do everything on the cheap and walking kit rather than motercycle as it has a hood. Works very well and I simply put them on over my normal leather jacket and jeans. I do use eye protection (just my normal glasses) but have never had a problem with my bonce (no sence no fealing). When its very cold I use a Snood (piccy on web site). I may be mad but just do it!

Nick, I use a Helly Hansen jacket with no lining as I'm a fatboy so a fleecy underneath is fine for the winter...

When on track ,if wet,I use a very cheap lightweight waterproof jacket over my racesuit and wear a nomex balaclava to help any wind buffeting under the helmet...

cheers John

I think as long as they have the "GoreTex Engineered" label (the big diamond label you see on them in shops) then they should be up to it.

Get one long enough to allow you to sit on the tail of it (so 3/4 length or so - stops your arse getting wet if the seats damp) and one that has a high collar as John said and you'll be fine. Other features are down to you but I'd suggest getting one with a double zip to allow the fitment (and removal) of a fleece and a hood is always handy (you can tell you're getting old when the idea of a cagoule and hood doesn't make you cringe!). That way it'll be suitable for winter and summer.

Jackets of this sort start at about 150-160 quid and go up to 3-400 (though with the sales in full swing you may get lucky!). The Berghaus Storm I mentioned costs about 200 quid and you don't have to have it in bright blue/red/yellow as seems to be the case with most other jackets of this type. I therefore don't have to think twice about where I may end up when putting it on!

C7 AJM

I wear a pair of Rayban wraparound sunglasses to which I had prescription 25% tinted lenses and a reactolite coating added.

Great on hot sunny days, Great on cold nights. In the wet I wear a Shoei full face helmet to keep my head dry.

Body gets cold rather than wet as you sit so low in the car.

A serious rainproof coat is only required if you either:

a. drive too slowly

b. travel on the M25

In 4 years of driving screenless I have not yet been hit by anything. Anything likley to cause you serious damage would pass through the std windscreen anyway.

AW

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

For anyone who visits Arrowstar - a trip to the Helly Hansen factory shop in the outlet village down the road from them is worthwhile if looking for stuff for the car that doesn't make you look like a rambler or tramp. Windproof and breathable with a hood that rolls into the collar is the best bet - when not using the hoods it makes a nice high collar to keep the wind off your neck.

I got a nice jacket for £49 instead of £160...

I also use a Berghaus Mountain Hat - made from fleece and folds down to cover back of head and ears with a draw-string to hold in place - very warm and stops frozen ears (I resemble the FA Cup so it's a big deal to me..). You can trap a scarf under the draw string as well to cover chin and nose.

Normal leather gloves from Dents have proved very good for grip and keeping hands toasty warm.

Remember if you get too cold your reactions are slowed by a considerable amount - which isn't a good thing on icy roads.

Piers

Ah, but what about traffic lights?

I've been caught a few times in absolute deluges where sitting at lights for a couple of minutes has completely soaked through a "std" rain jacket. Hence me buying a decent one.

There are also times when I've found it hard to drive quickly enough without the rain stinging my eyes so I can't see...and that's with a screen.

Not sure I'm trusting enough on the last point :) The toughened glass would take a stone much better than my teeth or the bridge of my nose. And even with a screen I've sensed stones whipping very close to my head (admittedly I'm not small and my head probably sticks up more than most!). That said, the screen isn't chipped so obviously hasn't been hit with too much force in my 4yrs with the car. But it only takes one unfortunate incident...

On the sunnies front - I've got some Oakley square wires which stay clamped to my head even with the doors off.

C7 AJM

Arnie - I hit it at about 60 mph and hadn't realised just how many feathers a pigeon has! It left behind white powdery marks and other bits and pieces on the screen, the passenger headrest and the roll-bar, but I couldn't find the pigeon afterwards - I think it vapourised!

Well this topic has prompted me to post...

Saturday morning, out at 7am for a fast run down to Polley's near Uckfield from the suburbs of Sth London. Man What an excellent morning!! Those of you who were out in their 7's know what I mean!

However, I encountered one slight problem in the shape of a horse box..

The thing was pottering along at 30-40 mph on the A22 towards E. Grinstead when I noticed that it must have been through some form of Lorry Wash (it was very clean) because every time it took a right hand bend a stream of liquid would appear from the left hand corner and coat my car in fine droplets of water.

You may have guessed it but it was a while before dawned on me that this was no ordinary liquid residue, due to the seemingly infinite quantity of the stuff divesting itself through what must have been a drain hole in the horse box!

Go screenless? NO THANKS !!! (By the way are there any vets out there that can tell me whether equine urea is corrosive?) smile.gifsmile.gif

I can confirm that equine urine is non corrosive, however if the mare in question is on heat it can be particularly pungent and has skunk like qualities that even washing machines have difficulty removing.

It is however non toxic, millions of women take it every day, as pregnant mares urine is used to make HRT (hormone replacement therapy).