Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Grease pt. 2

Colin Grundy

Having established the reason for my rear diff automatic greasing system coming into operation at 300 miles (faulty driveshaft), Caterham are going to despatch a replacement.

Fitting the shafts during build is an easy process, I now have to remove the near side one. Having been torqued to the recommended 200lb/ft, will everything come apart easily or will I need any special pullers etc?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

*confused*

As long as you remember which way the nuts spin, it is easy. You will need a helper standing on the brake pedal. Untorque the nuts. If the hub doesn't want to part from the driveshaft, hit the end of the drive shaft with a rubber hammer. It is on sprung plunger type arrangement and will separate with very low trauma.

Thanks for that Peter, came apart no problems. Slight worry though. When I pulled out the driveshaft I expected oil to p**s out of the diff. Not a drop. Is this because the oil level is below that of the driveshafts? Theres no sign of diff oil leaking.

Secondly when I get the new shaft would you recommend repacking the hub with grease before assembly?

*thumbup*