Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA Bar and Exhaust Upgrades

Mat Norris

Santa brought me a FIA roll bar for my s/cockpit live axle 7, and Caterham don't supply a boot cover to fit, just the suggestion that it will have to be modified. I haven't had a chance to offer it up yet as the car is away from me. Has anyone any experience of such a mod, was it successful etc? If not, does anyone know a good car trimmer,one of the ones who makes one-off hoods?

Finally, I see from the archives that a few people have upgraded from 4-2-1 exhausts to 4-1, is it necessary to change or mod the rubber bobbin bracket, on the chassis, when switching between the two?

Thanks for any input,

mat

Mat,

Firstly the company which makes the boot covers is the Oxted Trimming Company in Oxted Surrey, They will modify it for you if tyou have the template, using original type materials.

Secondly, the exhaust rear bracket does not change, although it would be a good idea to change the bobin as these are stressed.

AW

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

I have also carried out both modifications to a long-cockpit de-Dion car, but the concepts will be the same.

Boot cover: I had a professional trimmer modify the existing (standard roll-bar) cover to accommodate an FIA bar - but not particularly successfully. The upright angle as well as the tube thickness of the FIA bar is different to the standard unit, which means that the hole at the end of the 'split' in the boot cover needs to be taken further forward and also widened out. This, of course, leaves a gap at the back end of the hole which doesn't meet the new upright. The trimmer filled it, but it doesn't look very sightly, I'm afraid. My advice would be to get a new one cut as per Arnie's suggestion above, even if it does mean positioning and fitting new poppers.

Exhaust: Bear in mind that the 4:1 exhaust has, by definition, a set of four downpipes exiting the bodywork, so you'll have to enlarge the hole in the aluminium skin where it emerges from the engine compartment. Not difficult, I know, but if your car's painted, you'll need to watch the finish on the edges of the hole. Plenty of people do it, though.

Good luck!

Pierson

Mat

Did Santa happen to leave the price tag on the bar? I sold mine early last year, and would like to get another. Is it the type that slopes forward, allowing the hood to fit?

I called Oxted before I flogged mine, and they would be quite happy to modify your existing cover.