Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VHPD Breather arrangements

garyo

Could someone explain the layout of the crankcase vents on a car running VHPD KV6 bodies? Am I right in thinking that there are just two vents on the rocker cover, and these should be vented to catchtank and then the atmosphere? I think the standard exiges (non 190 upgrade cars) vent back into the inlet system somewhere - is this before or after the throttle butterflys?

Cheers,

Gary.

Gary,

If you're running a dry sump system this apparently creates a vacuum in the crankcase so the engine will be sucking not blowing. Both breathers on my rocker cover were blanked off. I've also been warned this can create excessive vacuum that can suck in the crankshaft oil seal, perhaps why mines developed a leak from the rear seal?! It's been suggested I unblock one of the breathers and put a small filter to allow air in which I've not tried yet. Not a whole heap of help to you, but it'll be interesting to see what other advice you get on this thread.

Mike

Gary,

If you're running a dry sump system this apparently creates a vacuum in the crankcase so the engine will be sucking not blowing. Both breathers on my rocker cover were blanked off. I've also been warned this can create excessive vacuum that can suck in the crankshaft oil seal, perhaps why mines developed a leak from the rear seal?! It's been suggested I unblock one of the breathers and put a small filter to allow air in which I've not tried yet. Not a whole heap of help to you, but it'll be interesting to see what other advice you get on this thread.

Mike

I'm not runnning a dry sump system, so I think I have the opposite problem and need to attach one of my pipes to either atmosphere or maybe a vacuum take off on the engine side of the throttle butterfly.

I'll have a dig around in the se7ens list archive.

Gary.

Gary

If you look down the two connections on the cam cover you'll see that one is underdrilled and has opening a v small flow area, this is the part load breather and on the Exige is connected to a series of small tappings on the runner between the head and the throttles. The Exige/340R has special tappings for this which you dont have on a Caterham VHPD.

The other connection in the cam cover is fully open, this is the full load breather and on the Exige connects onto the back of the airbox/plenum. Again, on a Caterham you dont have this connection.

Caterham supply a 1 litre washer bottle which you fix somewhere in the nose, they recommend that you connect two hoses to the breather vents and make holes in the top of the tank for them to poke through. You then drill several hole in the cap for the gas to escape.

The problem with venting the gas back to the inlet system is that small droplets of oil can cause detonation which is more serious as the engine is more highly tuned.

I'm trying to plumb mine in as we speak, I'll let you know when I've worked out where the bottle fits best!!

BC

cheers Bob. I do have a vacuum rail that I guess used to be connected to the MEMS ecu, so I could use this but I think the diameter is too small to be really useful for this

sounds as though I need to buy catch tank! The car is actually a GTM libra but I think I'll be able to find the space to fit one.

Gary.

• Leadership Team

Hi Gary, my catch tank is now a fancy blue anodised "Sigg" bottle (check out outdoor shops) mounted to a fabricated ali bracket. Use velcro and tie wraps to enable removal to empty. I used a length of 1/2" (internal) heater hose - enough space around the hose to allow breathing at the neck of the bottle. The vacuum pipe is not enough - believe me *confused*

Stu.