Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

second Hand

peter snellgrove

Peter, I suspect what Caterham mean is that they will not handle any cars that have non standard modifications done to them (i.e. replacement ECU's), this would make things like trade in impossible so the replacement route becomes more problematical. When I bought mine from Caterham they made great play of the fact that all the cars they sell are either a) Factory built or b) Built from standard, new parts.

This clearly affects your ability to sell the car as a large number of buyers turn to Caterham for their cars, there is a market via this forum for all types of 7 including heavily modified examples. Whether non standard modification affects the resale value on this forum is open to debate but I suspect that many people (including myself) would be reticent about buying a car that was non standard.

I'll now duck and await the barrage of criticism from those who have gone this route and disagree.

For myself I would rather stick to factory approved engine mods and keep all future options open.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Is sure that Graham is correct, i.e. Caterham wont touch a car that has been modified outside the factory.

Having said that, if you had it tuned by one of the respected tuners such as Dave Andrews or Roger King then I dont think it would affect the value a great deal. It may take a little longer to sell and you lose the 'safety net' of being able to take it back to them if you need to sell in a hurry.

In any case depends what you want to do, it often works out cheaper to trade the car in for a higher spec model than to spend money upgrading the one you have

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here