Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New Chassis Painting

CharlesElliott

I've currently got a car ordered unpainted and whilst I love the aluminium look I'm still thinking about the painting options. Obviously Caterham is one such option.

Are there any noticeably cheaper alternatives? I would have thought that it's pretty easy to paint a brand new chassis/body before it's assembled - anyone used someone in the Caterham/Surrey area to do this? What sort of cost would I be looking at?

Cheers,

Charles

Tony will not do paint jobs on new cars. A new car bought has to go through the factory for painting - understandable - unless it is a colour the factory doesn't warrent, like Dayglo. Tony does a fab job though so I'd go with the factory option.

The alternative is to find a local paint shop and get a quote, but be aware that masking up lines will not be the same and will be noticable, also things like interior panels are left un-rivetted so that the painting go go past the visable edges. If you go this way then get someone who has done a 7 before.

Mail me off line for more info!

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Caterham Midlands, in their Classic Carriage Company days, used to paint new chassis (or more correctly, get someone to do them) for a substantial amount less them the option list price. Twas a good job too. Whether they still do now they're under the Caterham banner is another matter...

Hi, whilst my repannelled car is being dealt with by Chris Wheeler at 7 Workshop, who has turned out many fantastic cars, as you are in Surrey area, I suggest that you get Caterham to paint it as a finished car will need work done to it, ie removing rivets etc / wings to ensure it is painted correctly.

Caterham did mine first time round and it lasted over 12 years without any problem - sure it would have gone on a lot longer too. 😬

Anthony

No engine, but 4 wheels...

I can vouch for the quality of Chris Wheelers paintshop - it is excellent *thumbup* Take a look at the photos in my webpage, the link is in my signature below.

i dont know what it cost as it was an insurance job, and whether its sufficiently cheaper than Caterham to make it worth the effort of going to Hertfordshsire is something you will have to decide for yourself.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Hi Nick

I agree entirely the work Chris has undertaken is first class. I have mentioned before that from my experience Chris's cost for repaint ( on a like for like basis ) is cheaper than Caterham - based on Merc Silver 744 finish.

The quality of the paintwork, is in my humble opinion first class.

If Charles took is car there I am sure it would be looked after by experts and service would be with a capital S.

I am sure there are many others who will support this as well

Anthony

No engine, but 4 wheels...