Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mixing List 1a tryres front to rear?

Super_Rich_Bernie

I'm currently using Toyo F3 tyres (List 1A) in 185 front and 205 rear on my car. They are getting worn and are 3 years old, so probably time for a new set soon.

The 1A tyre of choice is the RE720 Bridgestone, which sadly isn't available as a 205 section.

It has occurred to me that I could put RE720s on the front and Toyo or Falken on the back - which would also solve the 8 week lead time on the 185 Toyo's.

Is this a thoroughly silly idea which will upset the balance of the car badly? Could I soften the rear A/R bar a setting to dial out any imbalance?

Apart from Toyo & Falken is there another good 1A choice in 205/60 13 which I am missing?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jonathan

I'm no expert on things tyre but IMO the fact that you are using different section tyres f/r instead of 185s all round will change the handling characteristics far more than slightly different brands. For sure if you fit Yoko 032s on the front and Uniroyal rain tyres on the back be prepared for exciting results on days of mixed weather conditions, but swapping brands within reason should be one of those tweaky things that may work under certain conditions...or not. Experiment at will (carefully) and I am sure the results will be interesting.

I am always swapping tyres round on my car and the only time I have problems is when I mix 1a and 1b when definate imbalances start to occur. I have used the Bridgestones and the Toyos and provided the Toyos are 205's I don't think you will notice any real difference provided the same brand and type of tyre is used on the same axle. I don't have my list of tyre rubber compound tests to hand, but I seem to recal that there is nothing between the Bridgestones and the Toyos in terms of rubber hardness. As a temporary measure I doubt it will make a great deal of difference. Obviously if you are going to do a track day or motorsport, take it easy to start with to see what happens to the handling.