Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear pads - an easier way??

Griff

Rear brake pads are in dire need of changing I discovered today. Not sure if all dedion cars are the same, but it seems you need a special tool and also have to disconnect the brake pipe from the caliper, calling for a re-bleed. Is there an easier way?

If I do need to bleed the brakes, might be timely to change the brake fluid. What's best for track day work? Also any advice on replacement pads? Is it worth doing the fronts at the same time even though they're only 50% worn?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Mike

Mike

you shouldn't have to disconnect the brake pipes, just undo the the bolts and you should be able to pull the caliper away enough to fit the new pads, you will however have to wind back the piston, it doesn't just push back in as is more normal!

If you are changing the fluid I'd recommend AP600 or Castrol SRF

50% pads on a Caterham will last for ages uness they're Red Stuff, wait till they wear a bit more !!!

Mark

Mark,

Does the winding back of the piston require the "special" tool or just a bit of ingenuity, patience? Do Red Stuff pads give much improvement? Car goes well, but it could do with stopping a bit better!

Mike

Griff

You can buy a wind back tool but I used long nosed pliers, I can't remember which way you turn them but no doubt somebody will be along to confirm

Red Stuff work OK but wear quickly, I'm using pagid RS14's alround for trackday only use, others you might consider are Ferodo DS3000 or for a good compromise road/ track pad try Mintex 1155's

If you are just replacing the rear pads be careful not to put pads in that stop the rear much better than the front *eek*, if you're looking to put good pads in it might be more appropriate to change them all

Mark

Mark,

I might give the Pagid RS14 pads a go since I don't use the car on the road very much. Where did you source yours?

Graham,

Thanks for the offer but the petrol (from Malmesbury) might cost me more than nipping to Halfords in Chippenham!!

Mike

hi halfords tool is good as piston can be tight only wind piston back enough to allow p ads to clear disc to much and the handbrake rubbish ;slacken of cable befor commencement;pads have raise dimple onrear face;this alignes with any of the four slots in piston ;giving ajustment every quarter turn; i think the tool is marked to help withth this

cheers typing not to goodru

hi halfords tool is good as piston can be tight only wind piston back enough to allow p ads to clear disc to much and the handbrake rubbish ;slacken of cable befor commencement;pads have raise dimple onrear face;this alignes with any of the four slots in piston ;giving ajustment every quarter turn; i think the tool is marked to help withth this

cheers typing not to goodru *cool*

cheers typing not to goodru *cool*

cheers typing not to good