Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R500 oil temp and pressure

andrewsj

I have a question about oil temp and pressure on my recently acquired R500 that I would appreciate some help/reassurance with before doing a trackday with the car....

When cold (oil <50) the pressure at medium revs (5-6k) sits in the range 60-70. As the oil warms to between 50 and 65 the pressure sits at a steady 60/62 at around 6k revs. Then as the oil reaches around 70, the pressure drops off and sits in the range 45-55 again at around 6k revs. At idle at this oil temperature the pressure drops to around 8-15.

I can't remember my physics exactly but are these levels about what I should expect??

thanks

The idle pressures look low to me; the other numbers seem OK, although the hot temperatures are a bit low.. The car may have the wrong oil, so I would change it ASAP. It should be running Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W/50 (Caterham originally recommended 0W/40, which is too thin according to Minister - they now recommend the thicker stuff.) My car shows much higher oil pressure on new oil - 15 - 20 psi, at 1,200 rpm. At high reves, it is always showing >50 psi

The temps you should worry about are never put it under revs/load until you see at least 50 deg C, and back off if you see more than 95 deg C (it will be much hotter than that in the engine)

If you want to have a chat about R500 do's and don'ts, e-mail me off line - chairman@lotus7club.co.uk with your number.

Edited by - keith jecks on 21 Apr 2003 18:41:41