Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Disc Brakes----will they won't they------------

CHRIS CLARK

Am I right to assume that a set of 1990 HPC solid front discs should fit my '93 front end (de-dion)? Before anyone says go check it yourself you lazy wotsit, the car is too far away from home at present (and it's too bl%dy wet to check it out anyway!!!).

PS. Has anyone any experience of drilled discs? They always sounded great on my motorbikes!

Edited by - chris clark on 3 Jan 2001 20:28:17

The parts cd only lists two discs for the de dion, solid and ventilated, the solid discs says for 1987 on. For the live axle car it lists the same disc and says it's for 1974 on. So yes it is the same for a 1990 and a 1993 car.

I crossdrilled my vented discs last winter, no noticeable effect on braking performance or noise (or weight come to that).

Does anyone know if they are still based on the Triumph Herald disc ? If so you could save yourself some cash and get them from an independant like Partco or Motaquip. I know that the slightly larger & thicker GT6 disc has the correct offset and centre as I recently converted some to fit my car by having them turned down to the standard 91/8" size.

Chris,

The discs are the same. Go buy them......

Drilling removes gassing which is caused when the material of the pad gets clsoe to max operating temp. You wont get these problems of a Seven lightweight cars don't normally require this (bikes only have it because the discs are much thinner hence hotter)

I would suggest the EBC Green Stuff pads which are cheap and effective and work at road speeds as well as track. They also create little/no dust...

Richard Brunero has a deal going down with EBC - it may pay to call him or email him..... brunero@bigfoot.com

AW

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

Chris,drilled discs have the habit of cracking around holes when used hard,the difference with a motorbike disc is that this setup is floting so that distorsion by heat has no effect on the disc where on a car you have some distorsion because the disc if fixed directly to the hub.

Thanks for info. guys.

I was given them F.O.C. ; ain't they the best type ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only reason I wanted to drill 'em was for that turbine winding down sound my bike had. I probably couldn't hear 'em above the exhaust bark anyway; it was just 'a good thought at the time'!

F.Arnie.

Have read a bit about these green pads on the forum before; quite fancy them as by all reports they seem quite good. EBC pads on my bike were cr$p! I know they are different for cars and it was awhile ago but a previous 'bad taste in mouth' experience tends to colour your view!!! Maybe I should be a bit more open minded now.

Could I ask a favour? Could you put up the meeting reminder a bit earlier (day or so)'cos I forget and only find out when I log on at home in the evening (Canterbury).Ta

Chris

I cross drilled my disks too (on both my W fields). The road car has had a few hard trackdays with no problems (despite a nice blue sheen on the disk!).

You will find that the whine more if you don't countersink the holes.

I have used Mintex M1144 pads, but these are too hard for road use on a 7 type car. Have heard good reports of the Green stuff pads and they seem grippy from cold.

If you are in Canterbury, you should try Rally Design in Fareham for bits like brakes, they are pretty cheap. (BTW I work in Sandwich)

I've gone for 4 pot callipers on my race car I'm building (just like J.R.)

Edited by - Fast Westie on 5 Jan 2001 09:25:51

Arnie said:

>I would suggest the EBC Green Stuff pads which are cheap and effective and work at road speeds as well as track. They also create little/no dust...

I've got Green Stuff EBC's on the front and they leave my (yellow-painted) rims absolutely black after a track-day! Very pleased with the stopping power though, even with standard calipers and discs.

Pierson

Hi Chris

I had the same problem converting to EBC pads 'cos the bike ones were crap, but the green stuff pads are one of the best "upgrades" I've ever bought. I use then in my sprint/hillclimb car, and they are superb, even when stone cold, and right up to......well.......very hot!

On the other subject we were "talking" about a couple of months ago, check Classic Car mag June or July 99 issue (I think) about an interestingly specced vintage/classic car.

Hi Mark W(! ha ha) Hall,

I'll try and find those issues; ta. Did you see that Derek Moore of "The Classic Carriage Co." is doing a race Caterham for a disabled chap (I know all racers are sort of disabled. Look for the scar where the brain was removed!!). I think I'll try some of these pads (green) in the near future as I spotted abit of blue sky a couple of days ago. Where is the best/most cost effective place to get them?