Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Fanbelt

Nick Chan

• Area Representative

Hi,

Can anyone let me know the part number for the alternator fanbelt for the 2.0 litre VX engine. I'll see if the local Halfords branch carries it otherwise its missed blatting sessions tomorrow whilst I wait for the post from Caterham....

Thanks

Nick

PS Big *thumbup* to Andy Griffiths for coming out to sort out my car with a replacement dry sump pump belt too - definitely one to carry now in the car!!

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

• Area Representative

Thanks Chris and Arnie for the information.

Arnie, unfortunately, I haven't got the original belt as this snapped and is probably in the Cheshire countryside *confused*

I popped into Halfords with the QBA788 reference and they supplied me with their Halfords equivalent (HB787a). According to the chap, the numbers refer to the length in mm and 1 mm is not going to make a difference. He checked his manuals and the HB787a is a suitable replacement for QBA788.

The problem is now that when I come to fit the belt, I can drop the new one over the crankshaft & alternator pulleys WITHOUT slackening the alternator adjustment off at all *confused* and there's (not surprisingly!) plenty of slack still to be taken up.

So the question is now, did I have the wrong belt on in the first place (the alternator is tightened about a quarter way along the adjustment bracket - from the block) or is someone at Halfords giving me a little bit of incorrect advice! As the car is stuck in the garage at the moment, I haven't managed to loosen off the alternator to take up the slack but I wondered if I have the right belt anyway?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Nick,

My posting does not make it very clear, but even the single V belt can be several different lengths depending on crank pulley and alternator used.

Ideally you want to keep the adjuster as short as possible as they do have a habit of shearing. I'd go back to Halfords and get a shorter belt!

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 21 Apr 2003 22:39:49