Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Urethane Bushes?

puremalt

Are they worth fitting on the A frame, in terms of longevity or is rose jointing the best long term solution ?(I drive <3000 miles pa in seven)

Demon tweeks has been recommended to me for the urethanes anyway.

Mine Farts and Belches

Almost a religious topic.. But my experiences (in another car addmitedly) are that Rose?heim joints wear incredilbly quickly , first evidenced as an increasing 'rattle' sound .. be prepared to change them surprisingly often.

Appropriately chosen Urethane bushings (softness/hardness) should give good service for years .. especially so when compared to the excreable quality Metalastic bits.

I think it's a bit harsh to criticise the quality of the Metalastic bushes which work fine on the rest of the car. Some of mine are more than 30 years old and are quite OK. The oily environment of the Aframe bush and the fact that it has not been increased in size since the 1960s in spite of the huge increases in engine power is what causes the problems.

Yes .. Fair enuff.. they do last for a while in the front.. depending on use and prolly who was mixing the rubber batch the day of their manufacture...

But I do so Hate "Metalastic" from my past experiences where every single Metalastic bit tore or otherwise self destructed.. sooner rather than later :-)

Discovering that that other manufatures similar products are exemplary was a Revelation ;-)

I seem to be out of step with the rest of the crew. My standard A-frame bushes don't give any trouble. I guess I change them every year or two or so, but I never suffer from knocking noises at the rear end as other do. Mind, I dont have any leals from my diff now. I once had a leak which appeared to be from the pinion nose seal, but it went away when I opened out the breather on top of the axle - looks like the heat generated during driving was pressurising the diff. casing a tad.