Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Adjustable Platforms

barrywilks

Any suggestions on how to lock up the adjustable platforms on the widetrack suspension?

I assume there is a proper 'c spanner' type tool for them but I don't have one and I'm driving it down for the PBC and SVA next Tuesday, so need to tighten these up!!!

This is probably the wrong way to do it, but I just tap the lock ring up with a small drift and a hammer. Gentle taps are all that's needed and the weight of the spring stops the top ring rotating. The lock ring does not need to be super tight as the rings generally won't move anyway unless the suspension unloads completely.

C7 CDW

I used a couple of appropriately sized drill bits - graunching I know - placed in the holes and then squeezed them 'together' with a large pair of adjustable pliers- saves damaging the holes by using a punch. I used this method on the fronts and the 'C' spanners on the backs.

I also have a pair of 'C' spanners of which I had to file the 'ends' to fit in the holes. The 'C' is not quite the correct diameter, but it's close enough to work until I find time to fettle them correctly.

BRG SV kit. 😬 Bruumm, bruumm at last *thumbup*

The Assembly Guide makes no mention of any special tools for adjusting the suspension.

Are the "C" spanners what they sound like and any idea where could I get them?

Anybody know what is the Cateham advice on this topic?

I got my 'C' spanners from Demon Tweeks - "Fixed for 2.25" ID; P/N SPXC101" for 5.53 ea + VAT.

You need two. (Total came to 15.41 inclusive)

CORRECTION TO ABOVE PART NUMBER INCLUDED (18 April) - sorry

You need them if you have adjustable ride height dampers. Screw the 'nut' up the leg to increase ride height. I've put mine all the way up - ooer! and have got roughly 110mm under the sump - and it still looks low! I'm going to start high and see what I 'clunk' with the sump and progressively lower to see how low I can go.

I know somebody will be along to tell me 80mm is OK, but it's my sump! so nyah.

By the way - BEWARE that 'trick' of mine above with the drill bit, the pliers slipped once and I have a LARGE gouge in my finger for my carelesness and stupidity for not using the correct tool.

Edited by - Tony C on 17 Apr 2003 19:31:34

Edited by - Tony C on 18 Apr 2003 10:37:18

What size wheels Tony C?

I'm at the top (all bar 3 threads) of the damper tube and am struggleing with 2 3/4 inch clearence, running 13 inch wheels.

Cracked my sump plate last night. Bugger.

195/45 R15

I've wound the shocks up so that all the threads are covered - just.

With the wishbone bolts still loose I was able to put the sump on the ground by bouncing up and down on the front of the car - GULP!

With the weight on the wheels and having bounced it a few times and rolled it back and fore to try to achieve a 'neutral' level, I then torque'd up the upper and lower wishbone bolts. I measured the sump clearance to be 110mm. I guess it will be slightly lower once the suspension has 'settled' and the driver is onboard - and I actually get to drive it *thumbup*

Cheers,

Tony

Just to update - managed to use a couple of short bits of bar (think they were originaly metal tent pegs!) and then used adjustable pliers to sqeeze them together.

Took the car the 40 or so miles to dartford for the PBC & SVA and all seemed fine (just got back).

Barry.