Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo Calibration

smutly

My recently aquired 1.4SS *smile* is running on 13" R500 wheels. I soon realised the speedo is out compared to when the standard 14" wheels are fitted. How can I correct this? Is there a solution that will enable me to change back to 14" wheels at a later date? i.e. cable change with different no of teeth! The 13" wheels give amazing grip but give a very hard ride so I don't know if I will run with them all the time. I would like to rectify the speedo error. I can live with guestimating the true speed but miles will be eaten up quicker and as I have a limited millage insurance policy it won't help ☹️

Oh and does anyone know how to remove the transmission tunnel interior trim. The one that covers the handbrake and gear lever? I can see to fixings at the rear of it, but there must be more to it than that!

Help

The tunnel top is only fixed at the rear (well mine was). It pushes over the top.

To get it off you need to get a steep angle on the handbrake. This can be achieved by unscrewing the nylon adjusters on the handbrake cable under the car.

The speedo is a problem. Mine was never accurate even with the correct wheels. I guess it is over reading yes? There used to be different geared inserts in the gearbox where the speedo cable knuckle

joint circlips on but I had heard these were no longer avail. Not sure if that is correct though / digging in other sources may bear fruit.

Why give the insurance man many of your miles each year if you are on a limited mileage policy.

Junked it for a Sigma 1200 bike computer. MOT'd no problem.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 16 Apr 2003 11:45:02

bout £14. Good for 160 mph and they are accurate as our measured mile and GPS tests confirmed.

I have had a Sigma 1200 for ~2 years. Totally reliable. You can reset the ODO after a batt change with that on. Not changed the batt yet. I even made a night light for Jason and I that comes one with the side lights. Not using that on my race car now though.

I have mounted mine where the speedo used to be. Can send a pic of that if you mail me.

See the link

http://www.strangely.org/owned/bikecomp/index.html

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 16 Apr 2003 15:59:46