Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Low ground clearance - new springs needed?

Ralph Morgan

I’ve noticed that my car (1991 live axle, with "traditional" front suspension) has been grounding more that ever lately. It’s probably not been helped by the fitting of a Zetec in place of the old Crossflow (I think these are about 20kg heavier) but I’ve started to think that the springs must have sagged over the years (not the only things….) and reduced the ground clearance. Measured this last night and it’s 20mm lower front and back than the dimensions given in the build manual (even with 13 inch wheels and 185/70 tyres), and the front springs, at least, seem almost coil-bound. This seems to confirm my theory.

Any recommendations for a cost-effective upgrade? I could just replace with standard springs and keep the old (Spax) dampers, but it would be worth taking the chance to improve the handling as well as increase ride height while I’ve got everything apart.

If you speak to one of the race teams, Ratrace, etc, or maybe FreeStyle, they might be able to tell you what length springs you would need with stiffer spring to achieve the right clearance. The other, more expensive, option is adjustable platforms, which with Spax means new dampers, and that will let you tweek the height to get the handling you want.

I run 300lb fronts and 115lb rears on my live axle with a 2.0lt zetec up front. I have adjustble platforms though so I dial in the height I need/flatfloor it.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Our farm drive is not the smoothest drive in Sussex and the vehicle dip (left over from F&M) made ground clearance a real problem. I switched over to race spring and adjustable platforms and sump life has become a lot sweeter.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine