Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

dry sumped VVC

tiddy1

It's not recommended by Caterham.....but I know of at least one VVC engine that has been running the Caterham dry sump system for several years without problem.

There is an general aura of nervousness that seems to surround any modifications to the VVC engine - I don't see why improving the reliability of the oil supply to it would cause any problems.

The increased size of the VVC plenum requires special engine mounts in order to hold the engine at a different angle to stop it rubbing on the bonnet - the dry sump scavenge pump uses a modified bracket as part of the pump mounting - you might find that you need to get a custom engine mount fabricated to fit the scavenge pump to the VVC engine without clearance problems.

Don't know if it is mine you are referring to - but my VVC is dry sumped - with Caterham parts, but fitted by Tangent Motorsport (who are no more). It was done a few years back, and the engine has to 10k since then with no problems (mostly not by me, I'm the third owner)

I can take digital photies or you are welcome to come round and see it - I'm in Southampton.

Alan

N7CTR 1.8VVC

Mine was purchased from Jon Pippard (via this forum). It is a green with yellow stripe and flares, so it isn't the one in CCC. Not sure about the output - it has a plenum, but measuring the inside of the TB it is 52mm. Not sure whether the head has been ported.

I have had ~4.4s 0-60 (as measured by an AP22 accelerometer thing, tested in both directions) - which at a guessed weight of 660kg (me+car+petrol) and drag from windscreen and flares give Cd .68 gives 155Bhp at the wheels (shod in pilots!). Standard 5sp box, 3.6 diff. Certainly seems quite a lot better than the nominal 160BHP I thought it was. 'Twas a crisp day in February which probably helped a little.

I only have standard profile tyres (185) and was getting a whiff and squeak of wheelspin at the 3->4th changeup round Brands on the Pilots.

Anyway, I'm happy with it. Bot sure what pressure in the sump - dial reads like expected ~4 when warm and 3000RPM, 2 when idling - where does this measure from.

Alan

N7CTR 1.8VVC

Bob,

I have seen some reliable figures that show how badly the shallow wet sump performs. Can be 30bhp going missing, but it tends to be that the dry sump puts back the horses that weren't there in the first place. i.e. a 182bhp VHPD engine shows ~150 bhp on a wet sump with the oil level up to the mark and its 182 rating comes from ideal conditions best replicated in service with a dry sump. The problem is that the engine doesn't breathe properly from chamber to chamber. Generally wet sump engines show best power when oil level is at its minimum, but that might not be the most reliable way to run them in service.