Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Stickers on cars

Terry Field

At the recent excellent Graham Hearn blat we were generously given a couple of stickers, on for the Blat and one for the CL7C. 

I have see lots of cars almost held together by stickers, each to his own but I haven”t gone down that route yet, preferring the clean lines.

But what is the general consensus about affixing stickers to the car? I am thinking about damage to paintwork, faded patches etc when a new owner might want to remove them, or when the stickers fade, curl up and drop off, maybe leaving a mark.

Any thoughts or experiences welcome.

I'm not sure you will get a "general" consensus, its all personal.

Personally I don't like stickers, and I will be peeling off my "UK" sticker now I'm back from France.  I don't expect it will damage the paint, especially if you warm it up a bit when you peel it off.  I reckon over a long time the paint may fade a bit, but I would imagine that's years and years.

They're totally in breach of the Founder's mantra, although the effect is tiny. I don't add stickers and if there had been an option not to have badges I'd have gone for that.

My uncle used to remove badges from his cars on the grounds that if the manufacturers wanted him to display advertisements they should pay for it.

Jonathan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ainsley said:

I'm not sure you will get a "general" consensus, its all personal.

Personally I don't like stickers, and I will be peeling off my "UK" sticker now I'm back from France.  I don't expect it will damage the paint, especially if you warm it up a bit when you peel it off.  I reckon over a long time the paint may fade a bit, but I would imagine that's years and years.

A tip from my father in law which I’ve used on European trips - smear Vaseline generously on the sticky side of the GB sticker. It stayed on fine for me, even when rushing for the boat in the rain, but peels off with no dramas back in Blighty. 

When I was a kid and building models I copied what my brothers were doing to their real cars. They used to fill the rear quarter windows with stickers and decals that came with the aftermarket performance goodies they’d used. When driving they would roll all the windows down to give the car a clean look. At the track or parked at the local drive-in restaurant they’d roll up the windows to show off what they had. Everyone did this back in the day.

Well, to each their own as they say. My HPC came with two club window stickers. One for the US based Lotus LTD and the other an early style UK CL7C. I’ve left them as they are part of this car’s history. However, I decided not to add any more.

Instead, I created a binder that I carry in the car. It has copies of all the important documents plus pages I can fill with dash plaques, stickers and other interesting event memorabilia. I have the binder on display for all to look through whenever I show the car.

Canada Day 2024 06.jpg

Binder Dash Plaques & Stickers.jpg

• Like 1

No stickers for my 7 apart from the ones it came with (one on the boot, one on the bonnet denoting the model). I got a cosworth one made for it and applied it on the opposite side of the boot but didn’t like it. 

I have two pairs of stickers on my van though, a puzzle piece and a swearing mickey mouse. 

I only have stickers under the bonnet - 7 Workshop, Premier Power and Quantum - on the steering column cover thingy.

Any stickers from our annual foreign trips are peeled off and put on the garage wall, so the exterior of my car is unadorned.

• Leadership Team

I apply a good coat of polish before fitting the competition numbers that typically stay on my car for 6 or so months each year.  It helps protect the paintwork when I remove them at the end of the season and I've never had any problem👍

Edited by Mcalvert
  • Like 1