Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Talk to me about oil pressure

GulfSeven

My 310R maintains 4 bar when driving, but falls to 2 bar when idling, except when warming up when it stays at 4 bar (I assume that's because the idle rpm is held higher by the ECU). From talking to other Caterham owners this is all normal.

I recently bought a 2023 Fiesta ST which, unlike the other cars I've ever owned, has oil pressure (and oil temperature) on the digital dash. Now that car maintains 28 psi (~2 bar) at all times.

So why the difference?

Edited by GulfSeven

Re: oil pressure under warm up is because the oil is thicker afaik. Once it’s warmed up it should idle at 2bar-ish as normal. 

As for the Fiesta, it’s a digital dash so maybe the read rate of the signal is slower/smoothed out? Or could be sensor placement in the oil circuit? 

• Like 1

Also depends on whether its an electrical or mechanical gauge - mechanical much more accurate and fluctuate more immediately.

K series 1400 Supersport withy mechanical gauge - 65 Psi on start up, blipping to 70 psi, and when hot under load 40-65psi depending on load and 20 psi idling

4 hours ago, SM25T said:

Perhaps it just shows 28 all the time as a comfort factor

Like most modern tin top gauges, I have had 6 VW Transporter’s all of which the water temperature gauges start in the “blue” slowly creep up to the middle (normal) position and stay there, even when stuck on the M25 in 30C with both radiator fans going. It’s definitely the “comfort factor”, manufacturers don’t want you to worry 😉

1 hour ago, aerobod - near CYYC said:

Our Macan S's V6 along with a lot of other current cars has a variable displacement oil pump. It uses 0w20 oil and typically is 1.0 bar at idle hot or cold and only reaches 3.2 bar at full load and maximum revs. Ford does use variable displacement oil pumps in many current vehicles, but I'm not sure about the Fiesta.

27 minutes ago, GulfSeven said:

A quick google suggests it's a "two-stage variable displacement oil pump", and that these regulate the pressure across a wide range of engine conditions. I guess that explains it then?

Thanks, both. It sounded as if there must be some sort of control system but I had no idea what it was.

Jonathan

I've actually just been out in it to take my son to cubs. I paid close attention this time, and it does go up to 55psi when pulling away from a junction, but quickly returns to 28psi. Pretty neat system. I've learned something from this thread *thumbup*

Edited by GulfSeven

1 hour ago, supersport_140 said:

My Supersport 140 is exactly the same. I use it as indication the oil is now warm. 

It's interesting you say that. As I said in my original post, my Fiesta ST also displays oil temperature (in addition to water temperature). It's amazing how long it takes for the oil temperature to get up to the water temperature after a cold start. I've not timed it in the Caterham, but I'm pretty sure the oil pressure falls to 2 bar when idling in much less time.