Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Aeroscreen fitting query

RobManser

Am I right that this panel should come out now that I've taken the screws out? I've jiggled and pulled it as much as I can and it just won't budge. I've watched the excellent Turn 7 video on You Tube, and there's just came out once the screws were removed.

thanks

panel.jpg

Edited by RobManser

Hi Rob

i had a ridiculous wrestle with mine, upside down, swearing. I could not get them out. I could push them down or up at either end but not enough to clear dash structure to remove them.

In the end, I rotated the far end, nearest the engine, upwards as far as possible and cut the small bottom flap off with a hacksaw. This then allowed me to slide them along enough remove them. I tidied them up with a file and they now go in and out fine. Felt pretty brutal at the time though. 

• Like 1

I'm tempted to tease out the larger panel beneath it to take the pressure off the small panel, but don't want to permanently bend it - it's huge and impractical to replace if I mess it up.

Edited by RobManser

On mine as the self tappers had gone in, the outside panel had "gone into" the knee trim panel behind and above it. I put masking tape over a painters spatula and pushed it between the two panels to separate them. Then jiggling it while moving it towards the front of the car worked!

• Like 1

What age is your car? 

I've tried to do mine and noticed that the panel bends round to the front face of the dash. The front face has a couple of tiny allen key / hex headed bolts (which i assume go into the top dash tube or a rivnut). I've now rounded these so need to drill them out. 

As you've got a nice carbon dash is that definitely not stuck ontop of an old dash?

PXL_20240923_205610014.MP.jpg

Edited by Miker7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ducatidentist said:

On mine as the self tappers had gone in, the outside panel had "gone into" the knee trim panel behind and above it. I put masking tape over a painters spatula and pushed it between the two panels to separate them. Then jiggling it while moving it towards the front of the car worked!

That can often be the problem if I’ve understood correctly. I had a similar thing, as the self tappers are screwed in they force the outer panel to ‘join’ with the inner at the holes. You need to make sure the two are fully separated before trying to remove the knee panel. 

• Like 1

• Area Representative

I recently did at least 2 hours of swearing at my less than one year old car trying to get these knee trims off.

In the end, once the screws were out then WD40 down the join between the rubber trim and the knee trim panel, leave it to soak for an hour and a combination of short plastic ruler and plastic glue spreader to separate them did the trick… perhaps it can help?

• Like 1

I think Miker7 has the most likely answer as from what I've seen over the years most factory fitted carbon dashes don't have the knee trim panels. In my experience ('93 car) they were not a problem to remove once the rivets had been drilled out (I subsequently re-fitted with self-tappers). I don't think that knee trim panel is coming out especially if the carbon dash has been glued to it 🙁.

Hope I'm proved wrong.....

It's off - many thanks for all your help.

The key for me was realising that the large side panels and the smaller panel are not a bacolite style plastic material, as I has assumed, but actually aluminium coated to look like that. This means that the self tappers splay out the metal behind them, and as someone above said, this stick the panels together at each hole, because the splayed metal goes into the hole behind it. I hadn't quite realised what he meant until I figured out the panel was metal. Armed with this knowledge, I poked an automotive trim removal tool between the two panels at each hole, which freed up the small panel. The game wasn't over then though, as it's a very tight fit, but also that the front edge of the panel was very close to part of the dash. Someone above noted that they had to move the panel forwards to lift it out - for me it was the opposite, so clearly the cars changed slightly over the years. In answer to questions, my car is a 2004 R400k.

Once the panel was off I had two unexpected discoveries. Firstly, I already have the quick change brackets.... What I could feel with my stretched out fingertips as a nut is actually how the brackets are made. When whoever it is makes these brackets, rather than drill and tap out the bracket itself, or a cylinder of metal welded to the bracket, it looks like they've just welded nuts straight on. Secondly, I'm glad I took the panel off anyway, because my heated windscreen cable, tucked up behind the panel, is bare and disconnected from the car's loom - no spade or anything. Better to discover this now than steamed up with the hood on. I'll take the windscreen off later and see if the hole's big enough for a bullet connector, and if not buy some snap fit connectors for bare wires.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RobManser said:

I'll take the windscreen off later and see if the hole's big enough for a bullet connector, and if not buy some snap fit connectors for bare wires.

I have some exceptionally thin connectors on my windbreak’s cabling which are thin enough to feed through the standard grommets on the scuttle (not that I can recall when I last swapped out my aero!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobManser said:

When whoever it is makes these brackets, rather than drill and tap out the bracket itself, or a cylinder of metal welded to the bracket, it looks like they've just welded nuts straight on.

That is how they are made

Untitled.jpg.b096f6f07837326f29e18a09b9d02ff1.jpg

1 hour ago, OldAndrewE said:

That is how they are made

Untitled.jpg.b096f6f07837326f29e18a09b9d02ff1.jpg

Yep - that's them. 🙂 Silly of me really, but I could only just get my fingers in there and the last thing I wanted was to undo the windscreen bolts, lose a nut and a washer, and then have this knee panel stuck and be unable to retrieve it. Plus of course I've discovered that my heated windscreen wasn't connected!

I just need some dry weather now....

Edited by RobManser