Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What's the cheapest model Caterham in kit form and how much?

anthony1956

What's the cheapest model Caterham in kit form and how much?

Guide info for a foreigner. To see if it's even worth exploring.

He's a mechanic so I'm thinking he could buy a dud and fix it easily in his case.

I mean heck, start with Arch and work outwards 😉

Edited by anthony1956

The Caterham website configurator will show cheapest kit being the 170 but not particularly cheap at £29,500 plus £500 delivery in UK. Only £2000 more for them to build it and put it on the road with IVA completed, registration and car tax. In reality it would have been cheaper to have had them build my 170 than doing it myself, but not as much fun and personal pride.

If I were to do this again (and I'm very tempted!) I think I would go for a 20-30 year old car that is basically sound but could do with a complete strip and rebuild. Cost would be less than £10k and should not cost more than another £3-5k to rebuild and respray.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anthony1956 said:

an abandoned project might do nicely

Projects are like gift cards. On average, they don't get spent.  On average, projects don't get built, unless that is your skill set and have the energy.  Life gets in the way.  Guys run out of time, money, motivation, health and even life and the project languishes.  The cost to build is the same as buying a built car.  The cost in time lost is not worth it.  Spend the time driving, not building.

I started building my locost (now Lowcost - eg locostbuilders.co.uk) in 2000. I learnt to weld, setup the local club meet and learnt to change my mind, different axle, different gearbox, different .... etc Every time i took on a new area i had new problems to understand and figure out how i wanted to work around them. Frequently I decided not to do it the easy way (Which was a mistake). The locost isn't finished, it lives next to the Caterham that I drive. Now i get the choice potter with something on the Caterham and drive it or work on the locost ...... the Caterham invariably wins as the effort to reward on the locost is so much lower.