Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Effect of greater offset rear wheels

JP

I saw a 1997 K series for sale online today and noticed that the rear wheels seemed to fill the arches much better than usual.  The spec stated 185/60 13s all round and on closer examination of the photos, it looked as if the rear wheels were dished or had much greater offset, filling the arches to outer edge more effectively. 

So I've been thinking, would having effectively a wider rear track affect the handling of the car at all?  I'm guessing it would alter the roll characteristics in a corner?  Would it alter the steering characteristics when pushing on?

With a deDion back axle, there will be minimal to no effect on the handling as the roll centre is set by the axle geometry, as opposed to the contact patch relationship to the arm inclination of the front wishbone suspension.

Tyre width differences between front and rear will have the most effect on handling, all other suspension geometry being equal.

I don't agree with the comment about the roll centre and deDion - this is not really relevant to the effect of changing the track width.  Even if you had deDion front and rear, changing the track width would still have an effect on the car balance.

Potentially, a wider rear track is going to give more rear grip, so more understeer.  However, for the kind of track width changes which can be done on most cars, the car can be easily rebalanced with different springs.

So I wouldn't read too much into it either way.

• Like 1

Agreed, it's mainly about cosmetics.

You see that some 7s in Japan have some great looking deep dish Minilite style wheels, not that different to what you run, but a slightly different design.  Don't think these wheels are available here though.

You can achieve the same(ish) look through just use of spacers which is probably a lot less cost than a new set of rear wheels and tyres and then keep the original minilites.look to boot

I was quite surprised finding run of mill tintops using wheel spacers as standard manufacture equipment - I had a puncture the other day on my workhorse Passat R-line diesel (first time I've taken a wheel off that car in 100k miles)  and that has 19 inch factory optional extra wheels  and that had spacers as standard kit - surprised me a bit